|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Willem Petrus Louw
24 November 1920|
Bloemhof, South Africa
|Died||4 July 1980(aged 59)|
|Buried at||Gauteng, Pretoria, VOORTREKKERHOOGTE, New Military cemetery (Coordinates: )|
|Allegiance||Republic of South Africa|
|Service/branch||South African Army|
|Years of service||1938 – 1975|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
Lieutenant-General Willem Petrus Louw SSA SM (Bloemhof,:255 24 November 1920 – 4 July 1980) was a South African military commander. He joined the South African Army in the Special Service Battalion in 1938,:94 and served in Italy in World War II.
After enlisting as a private he served as a NCO in the Technical Service Corps (SAOC):255 and was seconded to the South African Infantry. In 1943 he attended a Candidate Officers course and was appointed a 2nd Lieutenant in the South African Army Armoured Corps. He was transferred to the 6th Armoured Division and deployed to the Middle East and Italy.:94
After the war he served in various posts and in 1959 became Officer Commanding North West Cape Command:255 In 1960 he attended a Parachute Instructors course in England. He was promoted to Commandant (Lieutenant Colonel) in January 1961 and in April 1961 became the founder and first commanding officer of 1 Parachute Battalion. He was promoted to Colonel in 1964 and appointed OC of the Military College in Voortrekkerhoogte.:255 In 1966 he served as OC Northern Transvaal Command:94 as a Brigadier and Chief of the Army from 1967 to 1973,:94 and as Inspector-General of the South African Defence Force from 1973 to 1975.:94
Awards and Decorations
- Star of South Africa (SSA)
- Southern Cross Medal (SM)
- Africa Service Medal (WWII)
- "LOUW Willem Petrus 1920-1980". Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- Els, Paul J WO1 (2010). We conquer from above. PelsA Books. ISBN 978-0-620-46738-4.
- Nöthling, C.J.; Meyers, E.M. (1982). "LEIERS DEUR DIE JARE (1912-1982)" (Online). Scientia Militaria - South African Journal of Military Studies (in Afrikaans). 12 (2): 89–98. doi:10.5787/12-2-631. ISSN 2224-0020. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Fact file: Chiefs of the SA Army". defenceweb.co.za. Defence Web. 10 November 2008. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
Maj Gen Fritz Loots
|Inspector General of the SADF
1973 – 1975
Charles 'Pop' Fraser
|Chief of the South African Army
1967 – 1973
Brig JH Burgher
|OC Northern Transvaal Command
1966 – 1967
Brig FJ van Deventer
Col JH Burgher
|OC South African Military College
1964 – 1966
Col JW van Niekerk
|OC 1 Parachute Battalion
April 1961 – 1964