Willenhall is in the south-east of the city adjacent to the suburbs of Binley, Ernesford Grange and Whitley. It covers the area bounded by the Rugby to Coventry railway line, the River Sowe and the city's boundary with Warwickshire.
Willenhall was originally a small village that was absorbed into the city as it expanded. During the Second world war the Chace National Service Hostel was built in the area to accommodate the influx of munitions workers to the City. After the war the estate became established with the building of a large number of council houses. The area today remains mainly residential though to the south-east there is 9 hectares of woodland called Willenhall Wood which has been designated a nature reserve.
Willenhall has 3 Primary schools :
- St. Anne's RC
- Stretton Church of England
- Willenhall Community
For Secondary education the pupils of the above primary schools normally advance to :
- Bishop Ullathorne RC School
- Ernesford Grange School & Community College
- Whitley Abbey Community School
The Church of England parish church for Willenhall is St John the Divine which celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2007. The area is also served by St Anne’s Roman Catholic Church and Willenhall Free Church which is affiliated with the FIEC.
Willenhall was the site of a major air crash when at 9:52 a.m. on 21 December 1994 an aircraft approaching Coventry Airport, in poor visibility, crashed into Willenhall Wood, killing all five crew on board. The aircraft was a Boeing 737 that was owned and operated by Air Algerie but leased by Phoenix Aviation to undertake a number of live veal calf export flights from the airport.
A brass plaque remembering the event is now located in Middle Ride, close to the crash scene, which was erected on the crash’s 10th anniversary by the Willenhall Wood Residents Association.
- "Willenhall Wood". Coventry Walks. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "St John the Divine Church, Willenhall". Divine Inspiration. Retrieved 16 February 2011.
- "Willenhall Evangelical Free Church". FIEC. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- "Hot time: Summer on the estates: Riots in the UK 1991-2". libcom.org. 22 July 2007. Retrieved 16 February 2011.
|chapter-url=missing title (help). Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). House of Commons. 14 February 1996. col. 947–948. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "Aeroplane crash dead remembered". BBC News Online. BBC. 21 December 2004. Retrieved 16 February 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Willenhall, Coventry.|