|The Right Honourable
Sir William Aldous
|Lord Justice of Appeal|
|High Court Judge|
Sir William Aldous (born 1936) is a retired English judge and currently a judge in the Gibraltar Court of Appeal.
William Aldous was head of barristers' chambers at 6 Pump Court, Temple from 1980 to 1988. In 1988 he was appointed to the High Court bench and assigned to the Patents Court of the Chancery Division. In January 1993 his judgment reflected a trend towards the freedom to publish. The Home Office had claimed copyright over tapes of serial killer, Dennis Nilsen in the possession of World In Action. Charles Tremayne of Granada Television, described Aldous's decision to allow broadcast as "welcome and surprising".
He is a member of the Gibraltar Court of Appeal. In March 2009 he dissented from other Court of Appeal judges, in giving the opinion that the Gibraltar Government's housing allocation policy discriminated against same-sex couples.
Judgments of Aldous in the Court of Appeal of England and Wales include:
- Fujitsu's Application - Patent law confirming the rejection of a patent involving the computerisation of an existing process.
- British Telecommunications plc v One in a Million Ltd - Intellectual property case in which Aldous identified domain names usurping a trademarked name as "an instrument of fraud"
- Walton v Independent Living Organisation - UK labour law, regarding the National Minimum Wage Act 1998
- Dubai Aluminium Co Ltd v Salaam - English vicarious liability case, concerning also breach of trust and dishonest assistance. Aldous's decision was reversed in the House of Lords
- Silven Properties Ltd v Royal Bank of Scotland plc - English land law case, concerning the behaviour of receivers appointed under mortgages.
- with Thomas Terrell, Guy Aldous and Douglas Falconer, Terrell on the law of patents, 11th ed., Sweet & Maxwell, 1965.
- with Thomas Terrell, Douglas Falconer and David Young, Terrell on the law of patents, 12th ed., Sweet & Maxwell, 1971, ISBN 0-421-14650-8.
- with Thomas Terrell, Terrell on the Law of Patents, 13th ed., Sweet & Maxwell, Ltd (January 1982), ISBN 0-421-24900-5.
- "Former members". Three New Square. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Groves, Peter (2011). "Aldous, Lord Justice (Sir William Aldous) (1936–)". A Dictionary of Intellectual Property Law. Edward Elgar Ltd. doi:10.4337/9781849807784. ISBN 978 1 84980 777 7.
- Broadcasters welcome 'surprising' decision, Andrew Culf The Guardian, 27 January 1993.
- Who's Who. London: A&C Black. 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- Privy Council Members
- ADR Chambers UK & Europe web site, Sir William Aldous. Consulted on March 29, 2008.
- "JUDGMENT Nadine Rodriguez v (1) Minister of Housing of the Government (2) The Housing Allocation Committee" (PDF). Judicial Committee of the Privy Council. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
-  EWCA Civ 1174
-  1 WLR 903
- British Telecommunications plc v One in a Million Ltd  1 WLR 903, Aldous LJ at 920.
-  EWCA Civ 199,  ICR 688,  IRLR 469
-  UKHL 48,  2 AC 366
-  EWCA Civ 1409,  4 All ER 484