Auchterlonie, c. 1897
|Full name||William Auchterlonie|
7 August 1872|
St Andrews, Scotland
|Died||27 February 1963
|Best results in major championships
|The Open Championship||Won: 1893|
William "Willie" Auchterlonie (7 August 1872 – 27 February 1963) was a Scottish professional golfer. He was a native of St Andrews. He won the 1893 Open Championship at the age of 21 years and 25 days and he remains the second youngest Open Champion after Tom Morris, Jnr, but it was to prove to be his only Open. His brother, Laurie Auchterlonie, won the 1902 U.S. Open.
Auchterlonie was honorary professional to the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews for nearly a quarter of a century. He had begun his working life as an apprentice to the club makers R. Forgan & Son and he ran club making businesses for most of his adult life. There is still a golf shop called Auchterlonie's in St Andrews. He was involved in golf course design.
|Year||Championship||54 holes||Winning score||Margin||Runner-up|
|1893||The Open Championship||1 shot lead||78-81-81-82=322||2 strokes||Johnny Laidlay (a)|
|The Open Championship||T18||DNP||DNP||8||DNP||1||T23||T31||T12||T18||CUT||DNP|
|The Open Championship||5||T29||T38||T45||DNP||CUT||CUT||DNP||DNP||DNP||T28|
Note: Auchterlonie only played in The Open Championship.
DNP = Did not play
CUT = missed the half-way cut
"T" indicates a tie for a place
Green background for wins. Yellow background for top-10
- "Births in the United District of St Andrews and St Leonards in the County of Fife". Statutory Births 453/00 0129. ScotlandsPeople. Retrieved 16 February 2015. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Deaths in the District of Kirkcaldy in the County of Fife". Statutory Deaths 442/00 0145. ScotlandsPeople. Retrieved 16 February 2015. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Obituary - Willie Auchterlonie - The grand old man of golf". The Glasgow Herald. 28 February 1963. p. 7.
- "Prestwick — 1893". opengolf.com. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "D & W Auchterlonie". golfclubsequipment.com. Retrieved 8 November 2015.