William Barrington, 6th Viscount Barrington
William Keppel Barrington, 6th Viscount Barrington (6 October 1793 – 9 February 1867), styled The Honourable from 1814 until 1829, was a British businessman and politician.
Background and education
Born in London, Barrington was the eldest son of Reverend George Barrington, 5th Viscount Barrington, by his wife Elizabeth, second daughter of Robert Adair and Lady Caroline Keppel. He was educated at Westminster School and Christ Church, Oxford, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in 1814.
Barrington succeeded in the viscountcy on the death of his father in 1829. However, as this was a title in the Peerage of Ireland, it did not entitle him to a seat in the House of Lords. In 1837 he was instead elected to the British House of Commons as one of three representatives for Berkshire, a seat he held until 1857. He was also Chairman of the Great Western Railway between 1856 and 1857.
He was buried in St. Andrews Church, Shrivenham.
Lord Barrington married the Hon. Jane Elizabeth Liddell, fourth daughter of Thomas Liddell, 1st Baron Ravensworth, in 1823. They had five sons and five daughters. Barrington died at Shrivenham, Berkshire, in February 1867, aged 73, and was succeeded in the viscountcy by his eldest son, George. Lady Barrington died in March 1883, aged 78. Their third son was the diplomat Sir William Barrington, and their fifth (but fourth surviving) son the civil servant Sir Eric Barrington.
- Dod, Robert P. (1860). The Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage of Great Britain and Ireland. London: Whitaker and Co. p. 105.
- "Jane Elizabeth (née Liddell), Viscountess Barrington". National Portrait Gallery, London.
- Walford, Edward (1919). The County Families of the United Kingdom. London: Spottiswoode, Ballantyne & Co. Ltd. p. 75.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Viscount Barrington
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Berkshire
With: Robert Palmer 1837–1857
Philip Pusey 1837–1852
George Henry Vansittart 1852–1857
George Henry Vansittart
Hon. Philip Pleydell-Bouverie
|Peerage of Ireland|
| Viscount Barrington
George William Barrington