William Beauclerk, 10th Duke of St Albans
The Duke of St Albans
The 10th Duke of St Albans
by Frederick Sargent.
|Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard|
22 December 1868 – 17 February 1874
|Prime Minister||William Ewart Gladstone|
|Preceded by||The Earl Cadogan|
|Succeeded by||The Lord Skelmersdale|
|Born||15 April 1840|
|Died||10 May 1898 (aged 58)|
|Spouse(s)||(1) Lady Sybil Grey |
(2) Grace Bernal-Osborne
|Children||8, including Charles and Osborne|
|Parents||William Beauclerk, 9th Duke of St Albans|
Elizabeth Catherine Gubbins
William Amelius Aubrey de Vere Beauclerk, 10th Duke of St Albans, PC DL (15 April 1840 – 10 May 1898), styled Earl of Burford until 1849, was a British Liberal parliamentarian of the Victorian era.
On 13 June 1863, he was appointed Honorary Colonel of the 1st Nottinghamshire (Robin Hood) Rifle Volunteer Corps.
St Albans succeeded his father in the dukedom in 1849, aged nine. He later took his seat on the Liberal benches in the House of Lords and served as Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard from 1868 to 1874 in William Ewart Gladstone's first administration. In 1869 he was sworn of the Privy Council, but never returned to active political office, although he accepted appointment as Lord-Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire serving between 1880 and 1898.
St Albans was twice married: His Grace married, firstly, Sybil Mary Grey (28 November 1848 – 7 September 1871, London), daughter of Lt.-Gen. The Hon. Sir Charles Grey and granddaughter of Charles, 2nd Earl Grey, on 20 June 1867 in London. They had three children:
- Lady Louise de Vere Beauclerk (12 April 1869 – 15 December 1958), married Gerald Loder, 1st Baron Wakehurst and had issue.
- Charles Victor Albert Aubrey de Vere Beauclerk, 11th Duke of St Albans (1870–1934)
- Lady Sybil Evelyn de Vere Beauclerk (21 August 1871 – 20 September 1910), married Major William Lascelles, great-grandson of Henry Lascelles, 2nd Earl of Harewood and had issue.
After the early death of his first wife, he married, secondly, Grace Bernal-Osborne (26 July 1848, Newtown Anner, Tipperary - 18 November 1926, London), on 3 January 1874 in County Tipperary. She was the granddaughter of London Sephardic Jewish Shakespearian actor turned parliamentarian Ralph Bernal. Her father Ralph Bernal Jr., later Ralph Bernal Osborne, was Secretary of the Admiralty and a parliamentarian.
Grace's mother was an Osborne, an Anglo-Irish landed family; they had five children:
- Osborne de Vere Beauclerk, 12th Duke of St Albans (1874–1964)
- Lady Moyra de Vere Beauclerk (20 January 1876 – 7 February 1942), married Lord Richard Cavendish, grandson of William Cavendish, 7th Duke of Devonshire and had issue. In 1897, she was one of the guests at The Duchess of Devonshire’s Diamond Jubilee Costume Ball.
- Lady Katherine de Vere Beauclerk (25 May 1877 – 1 February 1958), married, firstly, Henry Somerset, grandson of Henry Somerset, 8th Duke of Beaufort and secondly, Major-General Sir William Lambton, son of George Lambton, 2nd Earl of Durham.
- Lady Alexandra de Vere Beauclerk (5 July 1878 – 16 April 1935), died unmarried.
- Lord William Huddlestone de Vere Beauclerk (16 August 1883 – 25 December 1954), died unmarried.
- Peter Beauclerk Dewar, Donald Adamson. "House of Nell Gwynn: Fortunes of the Beauclerk Family, 1670-1974".
- "Government Deputy Chief Whip and Captain of the Queen's Bodyguard of the Yeomen of the Guard". Government of the United Kingdom.
- Mosley, Charles, ed. (2003). Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knighthood (107 ed.). Burke's Peerage & Gentry. p. 3461. ISBN 0-9711966-2-1.
- Army List.
- "No. 23452". The London Gazette. 22 December 1852. p. 6775.
- "No. 24071". The London Gazette. 3 March 1874. p. 1452.
- "No. 23469". The London Gazette. 16 February 1869. p. 790.
- "No. 24875". The London Gazette. 20 August 1880. p. 4571.
- "No. 26974". The London Gazette. 3 June 1898. p. 3446.
- "Bestwood Emmanuel Churchyard". Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project.
- Walker, Dave. "Costume Ball 4: Ladies only". Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to William Beauclerk, 10th Duke of St Albans.|
The Earl Cadogan
| Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard
The Lord Skelmersdale
The Lord Belper
| Lord Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire
The Duke of Portland
|Peerage of England|
| Duke of St Albans