William "Bill" Buzenberg
|Genre||News, Non-profit journalism|
|Subject||Investigative Reporting, Journalism|
Buzenberg is a graduate of Kansas State University. He is a former Peace Corps volunteer, and he has been awarded fellowships at the University of Michigan, Johns Hopkins University and Harvard University.
Buzenberg worked for National Public Radio from 1978 to 1997, serving as a foreign affairs correspondent and London bureau chief before becoming Vice President of News. At NPR, Buzenberg presided over the network's major expansion of breaking news coverage. He was also responsible for helping to launch Talk of the Nation as well as a network core schedule of midday news/talk programming that was broadly adopted by NPR affiliates across the country. From 1998 through 2006, Buzenberg was senior vice president of news at American Public Media and Minnesota Public Radio. Buzenberg became executive director of the Center for Public Integrity in January 2007. Buzenberg was co-editor of the memoirs of the late CBS News president Richard Salant. Buzenberg serves on the board of directors of the Institute for Nonprofit News. In 2014, Buzenberg was involved in a public spat with ABC News over credit for a Pulitzer prize. In 2015, Buzenberg undertook a Shorenstein Fellowship, writing about collaborative journalism.
Awards and recognition
- Massella, Nick (2014-05-16). "Bill Buzenberg to Step Down as Executive Director of Center for Public Integrity". Media Bistro. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Allen, Mike (November 15, 2014). "CLINTON LIBRARY CELEBRATES 10 YEARS: Little Rock fills with alumni; President Clinton joins Playbook Cocktails and Conversation -- B'DAY: Jen Palmieri, Zeke Miller, Robert Draper, Gail Gitcho". Politico. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Arena Profile: Bill Buzenberg". Politico. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "Bill Buzenberg". London: Huffington Post. 2011-08-11. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "Bill Buzenberg". NPR. February 25, 1997. Retrieved 13 March 2018.
- "Bill Buzenberg". London: The Guardian. 2011-08-11. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "Bill Buzenberg". Investigative News Network. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- CPI Director On ABC Pulitzer Feud, 16 April 2014.
- "Guidance on philanthropic funding of media and news". American Press Institute. January 12, 2017. Retrieved 13 March 2018.