William Cornwallis Cartwright
Cartwright was the eldest son of Sir Thomas Cartwright, Minister at Frankfurt and his wife Marie Elizabeth Augusta Von Sandizell daughter of the Count De Von Sandizell of Bavaria. He lived in Europe for many years. He was highly accomplished in ancient and mediaeval art and literature and authored several works. Cartwright was a J.P. and a Deputy Lieutenant for Northamptonshire and a J. P. for Oxfordshire.
Stood unsuccessfully as a Liberal Unionist for Mid Northamptonshire in 1886.
Cartwright married Clementine Gaul from Germany. Their son Sir Fairfax Leighton Cartwright was a diplomat and his niece Julia Cartwright Ady and his great niece Cecilia Mary Ady were historians who shared his interest in Italy.
- Papal Conclaves
- Jesuits:Their Constitution and Teaching
- Gustave Bergenroth A Memorial Sketch 1870
- Debrett's House of Commons 1881
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 443. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.
- Dictionary of Art Historians Julia Cartwright Ady
- Benjamin G. Kohl, ‘Ady, Cecilia Mary (1881–1958)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, Oct 2009 accessed 13 Nov 2016
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by William Cartwright
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Joseph Warner Henley
| Member of Parliament for Oxfordshire
With: John North 1868–1885
Joseph Warner Henley 1868–1878
Edward Vernon Harcourt 1878–1885
|Constituency divided. See:|