William Craven, 6th Earl of Craven
Lord Craven was educated at Downside School and at the Northamptonshire Institute of Agriculture. He served as a Second Lieutenant in the Coldstream Guards and then as a Lieutenant in the Royal Naval Reserve during World War II. Lord Craven was created a Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta in 1959.
Marriages & Children
Craven married firstly (Gwendoline) Irene Meyrick, sister of the Countess of Kinnoull, on 3 May 1939 with whom he had one daughter:
- Lady Sarah Jane Craven (born 9 January 1940)
The marriage was dissolved in 1954 and on 25 September 1954 Craven married Elizabeth Gwendolen Teresa Johnstone-Douglas (born 2 June 1916, died 2011) with whom he had three further children:
- Thomas Robert Douglas Craven, 7th Earl of Craven (born 24 August 1957, committed suicide 22 October 1983) leaving natural issue. Died unmarried, and was succeeded by his younger brother Simon.
- Lady Ann Mary Elizabeth Craven (born 9 April 1959) married several times, and has issue.
- Simon George Craven, 8th Earl of Craven (born 16 September 1961, killed in road accident 30 August 1990), married Teresa Downes in 1988; father of Benjamin Robert Joseph Craven, 9th Earl of Craven (born 13 June 1989)
Lord Craven died in 1965 and was succeeded in the earldom by his elder son, Thomas.
- Peter W. Hammond, editor, The Complete Peerage or a History of the House of Lords and All its Members From the Earliest Times, Volume XIV: Addenda & Corrigenda (Stroud, Gloucestershire, U.K.: Sutton Publishing, 1998), page 217. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage, Volume XIV.
- The Peerage, entry for 6th Earl of Craven
Burke´s Peerage & Baronetage, 106th Edition (1999)
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Craven
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Earl of Craven