He curated collections at the British Museum and the Yorkshire Philosophical Society, and was editor of the Popular Science Review. Notably, he translated Facts and Arguments for Darwin by German biologist Fritz Müller into English. He also translated Karl Theodor Ernst von Siebold's Wahre Parthenogenesis bei Schmetterlingen und Bienen (1856) into English as On a true parthenogenesis in moths and bees and created the index for Charles Darwin's The Variation of Animals and Plants under Domestication.
- Browne 2002, p. 260
- "Letter 2017 — Darwin, C. R. to Huxley, T. H., 9 Dec (1856)". Darwin Correspondence Project.
- Browne, E. Janet (2002). Charles Darwin: vol. 2 The Power of Place. London: Jonathan Cape. ISBN 0-7126-6837-3.
- West Norwood Cemetery Dickens Connection, Friends of West Norwood Cemetery, 1995
- Works written by or about William Sweetland Dallas at Wikisource
- Biography on Darwin Correspondence Project
- Works by William Dallas at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about William Dallas at Internet Archive
|This article about a British zoologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|