William Day (bishop)
|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Winchester|
|Diocese||Diocese of Winchester|
|Elected||3 November 1595 (elected)
22 January 1596 (confirmed)
|In office||1595–1596 (death)|
|Other posts||Dean of the Chapel Royal & Dean of Windsor (1572–1595)
Provost of Eton College (1561–1595)
Archdeacon of Nottingham (1560–1565)
|Died||20 September 1596(aged 65–68)|
|Children||Two sons (Thomas & William); four daughters (Susan Cox, Rachel Barker, Alice Ridley & Elizabeth)|
|Alma mater||King's College, Cambridge|
|Ordination history of William Day|
|Principal consecrator||John Whitgift, Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Co-consecrators||Richard Fletcher, Bishop of London
John Young, Bishop of Rochester
|Date of consecration||25 January 1596|
|Place of consecration||the chapel, Lambeth Palace|
He was born the son of Richard Day of Shropshire and educated at Eton College and King's College, Cambridge, where he was Fellow in 1548, and graduated MA, in 1553. He became Provost of Eton College in 1561, his predecessor Richard Bruerne being ejected; it was a position he held until 1595.
He was created Archdeacon of Nottingham in 1561 and canon of St George's Chapel, Windsor in 1563, before being appointed Dean of the Chapel Royal and Dean of Windsor in 1572. He was registrar of the Order of the Garter, from 1584, and chancellor of St Paul's Cathedral, from 1587. He was raised to the episcopy as Bishop of Winchester in 1595.
He died in 1596.
- "Day, William". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/7373. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Cassan, Stephen Hyde. The Lives of the Bishops of Winchester: From Birinus, the First Bishop of the West Saxons, to the Present Time; Vol. II. p. 64 Accessed 11 September 2014
- Cassan, Stephen Hyde. The Lives of the Bishops of Winchester: From Birinus, the First Bishop of the West Saxons, to the Present Time; Vol. II. p. 59 Accessed 11 September 2014
- Cassan, Stephen Hyde. The Lives of the Bishops of Winchester: From Birinus, the First Bishop of the West Saxons, to the Present Time; Vol. II. p. 60 Accessed 11 September 2014
- "Day, William (DY545W)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Provosts". etoncollege.com. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography
- Arthur Clutton-Brock, Eton (1900), p. 35.
- "The Hindu : Metro Plus Chennai / Madras Miscellany : A look back at Madras's founders". hindu.com. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Winchester