William E. Lori
William Edward Lori
|Archbishop of Baltimore|
|Appointed||March 20, 2012|
|Installed||May 16, 2012|
|Predecessor||Edwin Frederick O'Brien|
|Ordination||14 May 1977|
by William Wakefield Baum
|Consecration||20 April 1995|
by James Aloysius Hickey
|Born||6 May 1951|
Louisville, Kentucky, USA
|Motto||CARITAS IN VERITATE (CHARITY IN TRUTH)|
|Coat of arms|
William E. Lori
|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
He attended the Seminary of Saint Pius X in Erlanger, Kentucky where he earned a bachelor's degree in 1973. He holds a M.A. from Mount Saint Mary's Seminary and a S.T.D. from The Catholic University of America.
Ordination and ministry
Lori was ordained by William Baum in 1977. His first parish was St. Joseph's in Landover, MD. held a various positions in the chancery of the archdiocese, including that of secretary to James Hickey.
Lori is member of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. Archbishop Lori is the former Chairman and current member of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ (USCCB) Committee on Doctrine, Chairman of the USCCB Ad Hoc Committee on Universities and Colleges, a member of the USCCB Committee on Pro-Life Activities, and the USCCB Ad Hoc Committee for the Defense of Marriage. He also served as the first Chair of the USCCB's Ad Hoc Committee for Religious Liberty.
Archbishop Lori is a former Chairman of the Board of Trustees of The Catholic University of America and Sacred Heart University and is the Supreme Chaplain of the Knights of Columbus. In his capacity as Archbishop of Baltimore, Lori also serves as Chancellor of and Chairman of the Board of Trustees at St. Mary's Seminary and University in Baltimore and Chancellor of Mount St. Mary's Seminary in Emmitsburg, MD.
Bishop of Bridgeport, Connecticut
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2014)
Archbishop of Baltimore, Maryland
In 2007, he announced a doctrinal investigation of American theologian Peter C. Phan, who has written about an Asian perspectives on interreligious dialogue. Nothing has since come of this investigation.
Lori has opposed legislation in Connecticut proposed by State Rep. Michael P. Lawlor and Sen. Andrew McDonald that would remove control of the diocese from the bishop and place it in the control of the laity. The legislation had been written with help from such Catholics as Connecticut attorney Thomas Gallagher, a contributor to the group Voice of the Faithful.
- His Excellency Archbishop William E. Lori. Retrieved November 30, 2014
- Pope Names Washington Auxiliary Bishop William Lori as Bishop of Bridgeport, CT Archived 24 December 2005.
- "NOMINA DELL'ARCIVESCOVO DI BALTIMORE (U.S.A.)" (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 2012-03-20.
- Biography of Bishop William E. Lori, S.T.D. Retrieved 2010-03-04.
- Bishop William Edward Lori Retrieved 2010-03-04.
- Bishop William Lori Elected Chairman of Catholic University’s Board of Trustees Retrieved 2010-03-04.
- Bishop Lori Elected as New Supreme Chaplain Retrieved 2010-03-04.
- Q & A/Bishop William E. Lori; 'A Different Mix of Talents, A Different Personality' Retrieved 2010-03-04
- Why is Fr. Peter Phan under investigation?
- Religious Freedom Under Attack in Connecticut
- Goodstein, Laurie (13 June 2012). "Bishops Defend Fight Against Obama's Policy on Birth Control Coverage". New York Times. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- Biography, Diocese of Baltimore
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport
- Knights of Columbus Biography
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore
|Catholic Church titles|
Federico Bonifacio Madersbacher Gasteiger OFM
| Titular Bishop of Bulla
28 February 1995–23 January 2001
Percival Joseph Fernandez
| Bishop of Bridgeport
23 January 2001–20 March 2012
Frank Joseph Caggiano
Thomas Vose Daily
| Supreme Chaplain of the Knights of Columbus
Edwin Frederick O'Brien
| Archbishop of Baltimore
20 March 2012–present