William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2007)|
The William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration is the school of hospitality management studies at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). Named after William F. Harrah, the founder of Harrah's Entertainment, the school is highly ranked in surveys of hotel and hospitality colleges.
The College of Hotel Administration takes advantage of its location 1.5 miles from the Las Vegas strip. With more than 125,000 hotel rooms and hundreds of restaurants, conventions and trade shows, Las Vegas serves as a laboratory for the college's program.
The William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration has one international campus in Singapore. Opened in 2006, the UNLV Singapore campus is housed on the 10th and 11th floors of the National Library of Singapore. The campus offers bachelor’s degree programs in hotel administration and hospitality management. UNLV Singapore offers the college’s upper division courses, including Hotel Administration, Hospitality Marketing, Food and Beverage Management and Hotel Law. Students may also earn an executive master’s degree in hospitality.
UNLV's hotel management program began in 1967, when the school was still called Nevada Southern University. By 1969, the program had become the College of Hotel Administration. The school was named after William F. Harrah in 1989, after a $5 million gift from his widow. A larger pledge followed in 2007, when the Harrah's Foundation promised $30 million (the largest bequest in UNLV's history) toward construction of a new building and research and related activities. The program has also benefitted from other large contributions from gaming and casino businesses.
The satellite program in Singapore was established in 2006. In 2013 it was reported that the program, intended to be a self-funding venture in collaboration with Singapore Institute of Technology, might close down after 2015, due to concerns about the long-term fiscal viability of the program as structured. The school has stated that it may relocate its Asian campus to Macau.
- UNLV Gaming Research & Review Journal
- UNLV Journal of Hospitality, Tourism & Leisure Science HTL, Science Library of Congress, ISSN Number: 1546-3273
- B.S. in Hotel Administration
- M.H.A. or Master of Hospitality Administration
- M.S. in Hotel Administration
- Dual MBA/MS in Hotel Administration/Business Administration
- Ph.D. in Hospitality Administration
- Liz Benston, "Philanthropy steering hotel college through recession", Las Vegas Sun, September 8, 2010.
- UNLVino - Las Vegas Wine Event - Home
- Jane Ann Morrison, "Use of UNLVino funds as loans will end, organizers say", Las Vegas Review-Journal, July 15, 2010.
- Heidi Knapp Rivella, "UNLVino gets better with age", Las Vegas Review-Journal, March 22, 2012.
- UNLV History: William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration (accessed 2014-03-25).
- "How some UNLV buildings got their names", Las Vegas Review-Journal, February 12, 2012.
- "Harrah's gives largest donation ever to UNLV." IGWB: International Gaming & Wagering Business, October 1, 2007 – via HighBeam Research (subscription required).
- "UNLV hits Harrah's jackpot", Las Vegas Review-Journal, September 11, 2007.
- Paul Takahashi, "UNLV likely to shutter its campus in Singapore", Las Vegas Sun, January 15, 2013.
- Richard Lake, "UNLV considers closing Singapore campus", Las Vegas Review-Journal, January 14, 2013.
- M. Nadeem, "University of Chicago, Others Move Programs Out of Singapore", Education News, July 30, 2013.
- Vítor Quintã, "Las Vegas university may set-up in Macau", Macau Business Daily, July 25, 2013.
- Yesenia Amaro, "Hopes for new UNLV College of Hotel Administration building rekindled", Las Vegas Review-Journal, April 15, 2013.
- Sean Whaley, "Design contract approved for $50 million UNLV building", Las Vegas Review-Journal, February 4, 2014.