William H. Seymour
Seymour was born in Warrenton, Warren County, Mississippi. He lived in Europe as a child, then moved to Louisiana while still a dependent of his parents. At the outset of the American Civil War he enlisted in the Confederate Army, becoming an artillery sergeant and receiving an honorable discharge.
In 1863 he moved to Algiers, Louisiana, where he was initially employed by the Opelousas Railroad. Algiers, across the Mississippi River from New Orleans, was then an independent municipality, but would be within a few years annexed to the city. Seymour took an interest in local affairs and was elected in 1864 to the Louisiana Constitutional Convention, where he was the youngest delegate. Also in 1864 Seymour was elected justice of the peace and president of the parish police jury.
Seymour is best known as the author of The Story of Algiers, a 128-page history published in 1896. The book was republished in 1971 and has been referenced in New Orleans and Louisiana histories. An index of the book is on-line at the New Orleans Public Library Web site.
- "Biography of Seymour, William H., Warren County, Mississippi, then Orleans Parish, Louisiana". LAGenWeb Archives. Archived from the original on August 3, 2004. Retrieved 2006-04-28.
- Dixon, Richard Remy (1981). Old Algiers : a story of Algiers, yesterday and today (2nd ed.). New Orleans: Algiers Annexation to New Orleans Centennial Committee. LCCN 82139424.
- Seymour, William H. (1971). The story of Algiers, 1718-1896. Gretna LA: Pelican Publishing Company. LCCN 71162346.
- "The Story of Algiers 1718-1896 by William H. Seymour". New Orleans Public Library. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- Fortier, Alcée (1914). Louisiana; comprising sketches of parishes, towns, events, institutions, and persons, arranged in cyclopedic form, Vol. 3. Madison: Century Historical Association.
- Seymour, William H. (1896). The story of Algiers, now Fifth District of New Orleans, 1718-1896. The past and the present. (Limited ed.). Algiers, LA: Algiers Democrat Publishing Company. LCCN 48041591.