William H. Taft Mansion
|William H. Taft Mansion|
|Architectural style||Second Empire architecture|
|Location||111 Whitney Avenue|
New Haven, Connecticut
United States 06510
|Floor area||10,445 sq ft (970.4 m2)|
The William H. Taft Mansion is a historical site located at 111 Whitney Avenue in New Haven, Connecticut, United States. It was built in 1870. It is known as the Taft Mansion because U.S. President William Howard Taft owned it for a period around the time of World War I, although he may never have lived in it. In 1920 it was famously burgled by Carl Panzram, in revenge for Taft sentencing him to three years in prison at Fort Leavenworth. After selling what he had stolen, he went on a further crime spree which often included shooting his victims with a gun he stole from the house. Taft owned the house until 1921.
In 2014, the William F. Buckley Jr. Program at Yale University relocated to the mansion with an option to purchase it. The location across the street from the Peabody Museum is particularly apt for the group, as Taft was both a Republican and a Yale graduate.
As a commercial property, the site includes 7,500 square feet (700 m2) of leased office space with a parking lot with two dozen spaces. The third floor is 2,600 square feet (240 m2) of space and may be individually leased. The location on Whitney Ave near Trumbull Street is within Yale's neighborhood and it sits on approximately 0.35 acres (0.14 ha) of land.
The house was sold for $2.6 million in 2018.
- Daniel. "William H. Taft Mansion (1870) - Historic Buildings of Connecticut".
- Marlowe, John (November 8, 2013). "The World's Most Evil Psychopaths: Horrifying True-Life Cases". Arcturus Publishing – via Google Books.
- "William F. Buckley Jr. Program at Yale settles into Taft Mansion". New Haven Register. March 25, 2014.
- "From WH Taft to WF Buckley:new home for Yale conservatives". yalealumnimagazine.com. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- "111 Whitney Ave, New Haven, CT 06510 - MLS N10102104 - Coldwell Banker". ColdwellBankerHomes.com. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- "111 Whitney Ave, New Haven, CT, 06510-1265 - Office Building Property For Lease on LoopNet.com". LoopNet. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- Haven, Business New (January 16, 2017). "New Haven Property Pulls In The Big Bucks". conntact.com.