William Hare, 2nd Earl of Listowel
Listowel was the eldest son of Richard Hare, Viscount Ennismore, and Catherine Bridget Dillon. William Hare, 1st Earl of Listowel, was his grandfather. He was elected Whig MP for Kerry in 1826, a seat he held until 1830. He was appointed High Sheriff of County Cork for 1834. In 1837 he succeeded his grandfather in the earldom but as this was an Irish peerage it did not entitle him to a seat in the House of Lords. During Melbourne's Whig ministry he served as Vice-Admiral of Munster and was made a Knight of the Order of St Patrick in 1839. Listowel instead returned to the House of Commons in 1841 when he was elected Whig MP for St Albans, a constituency he represented until 1846. In latter part of his career he served the Whig government of Lord John Russell in the House of Lords as a Lord-in-Waiting to HM Queen Victoria, in which office he continued under Peelite Lord Aberdeen.
Lord Listowel married Maria Augusta Windham, daughter of Vice-Admiral William Lukin Windham, on 23 July 1831. He died in February 1856, aged 54, and was succeeded in his titles by his eldest son William Hare, 3rd Earl of Listowel. Lady Listowel died in 1871.
- William, 3rd Earl of Listowel (1833- )
- Richard, Rear-Admiral (1836-1903)
- Ralph, Major RHA (1838-1879)
- Hugh Henry, Lt Bengal SC (1839-1927) married Georgiana Caroline, third daughter of Colonel Birnie Browne, Bengal Artillery.
- Edward Charles (1842-4)
- Augusta Maria (d.1881) married 4th Earl of Carysfort
- Emily Catherine (d.1916) married Sir John Wrixon-Becher
- Sophia Eliza (d.1912)
- Victoria Alexandrina (d.1927) married 3rd Earl of Yarborough, and secondly, John M Richardson of Edmundthorpe Hall.
- Adela Maria (d.1912) married Colonel Cuthbert Larking (d.1910) of 15th Hussars
- Eleanor Cecilia (d.1924) married 1st Baron Heneage, PC (d.1922)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Burke's (1999), p.1735
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (eds.) Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage London and New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.
- Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, (106th edition, 1999), vol.1, p. 1735
- Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, (107th edition, 2003), vol.2, p. 2365
- Lundy, Darryl (February 2013). "William Hare, 2nd Earl of Listowel".
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by The 2nd Earl of Listowel
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Kerry
With: Maurice Fitzgerald
George Alfred Muskett
|Member of Parliament for St Albans
With: George Alfred Muskett 1841
George Repton 1841–46
Benjamin Bond Cabbell
|Peerage of Ireland|
|Earl of Listowel
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, for a constituency in Ireland between 1801 and 1922 is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|