Robert Hinde (British Army officer)
William Robert Norris Hinde
|Born||25 June 1900|
|Commands held||22nd Armoured Brigade (1943-44)|
20th Armoured Brigade (1942)
15th/19th Hussars (1940-42)
|Battles/wars||Second World War|
Mau Mau Uprising
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire|
Companion of the Order of the Bath
Distinguished Service Order & Bar
|Spouse(s)||Evelyn Muriel Wright|
Major General Sir William Robert Norris "Looney" Hinde, KBE, CB, DSO & Bar (25 June 1900 – 13 July 1981) was a senior British Army officer who served in the Second World War and in the Mau Mau Uprising in colonial Kenya.
He competed in the 1936 Summer Olympics as part of the British polo team, which won the silver medal. He played both matches in the tournament, the first against Mexico and the final against Argentina.
He married Evelyn Muriel Wright on 22 July 1926. The couple had one son, William (Bill), and three daughters, Elizabeth, Cathryn and Victoria.
- From 1940 to 1942 Commanding Officer 15th/19th Hussars
- From 26 August 1942 to 7 December 1942 Commanding Officer 20th Armoured Brigade
- From 23 January 1943 to 7 August 1944 Commanding Officer 22nd Armoured Brigade in North Africa, Italy and North-West Europe; active in Normandy and in the Battle of Villers-Bocage
- 1945 to 1948 Deputy Military Governor, British Sector Berlin, Germany
- 1949 to 1951 Deputy Commanding Officer, Lower Saxony, Germany
- 1950 to 1951 Aide-de-Camp to the King
- 1952 to 1956 Aide-de-Camp to the Queen
- 1952 to 1953 District Officer Commanding Cyrenaica District, North Africa
- 1953 to 1956 Director of Operations, Kenya; led an offensive against the Mau Mau, from January 1953
- 1957 Retired
Awards and decorations
|Olympic medal record|
|1936 Berlin||Team competition|
- Distinguished Service Order (22 July 1943) and bar (19 August 1943)
- Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire
- Companion of the Order of the Bath
- "Maj.-Gen. Hon. Sir William Robert Norris Hinde". The Peerage. 12 June 2011. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "Hinde, Sir William Robert Norris". generals.dk. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "Timeline: Mau Mau Rebellion". Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "Recommendation for Award for Hinde, William Robert Morris". National Archives. 1943. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- "Recommendation for Award for Hinde, William Robert Norris". National Archives. 1943. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
|This biographical article relating to a United Kingdom sportsperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to the British Army is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|