William Howard Taft University
|President||Dr. Neil A. Johnson|
William Howard Taft University is an accredited private university headquartered in Denver, Colorado. Founded in 1976 as a source of continuing education for certified public accountants (CPAs), the school expanded into a specialized distance education university that now offers multiple academic programs of study. William Howard Taft University and Taft Law School together form the Taft University System.
William Howard Taft University's Doctor of Education program was suspended in 2003 in order for the university to obtain Distance Education and Training Council accreditation, since DETC did not accredit doctoral programs at the time. In 2009, when DETC’s scope of authority was expanded to include professional doctorates, the program was resumed.
On June 7, 2003, William Howard Taft University was awarded accreditation by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). On July 2, 2013 the Commission voted to extend its accreditation until 2018.
The DEAC (formerly known as the DETC) is one of 12 accrediting agencies fully recognized by the U.S. Department of Education'. Consequently, degrees awarded by DEAC-accredited universities are recognised, as are degrees awarded by those which are accredited by the other 11 recognised accrediting agencies, by the federal government. The standards used by DEAC for accrediting universities are the same as those used by regional accreditation agencies to ensure that academic quality of degrees earned from DEAC-accredited universities are the same as those earned from regionally accredited universities.
TaftU is also a member of Council for Higher Education Accreditation and is listed in its "Database of Institutions Accredited by Recognized U.S. Accrediting Organizations" . TaftU is listed in the U.S. Department of Education's "The Database of Accredited postsecondary Institutions and Programs"   as a recognized university.
William Howard Taft University offers an online Bachelor's degree completion program in business administration, master's degree programs in business administration (M.B.A. programs) in general business, healthcare administration, entrepreneurship, and private practice management. Master's degree programs are also offered in taxation (M.S.T.) and education (M.Ed.). Doctoral degree programs are offered in business (D.B.A.) and education (Ed.D.). There are undergraduate certificate programs in marketing, eBusiness, finance, accounting, international business, and project management.
Most of Taft's EdD alumni have become academicians, school leaders in public school districts or consultants. Those who have become academicians include Dr. Scott Morrison of St. Mary's University, Calgary, Dr. Sam Stewart of Abilene Christian University, Dr. Susan Ratliff of Hartnell College, and Dr. Shirley Caruso of Northeastern Illinois University.
- "Report from the DETC Accrediting Commission" (PDF). Distance Education and Training Council. June 27, 2003.
- "Applications Are Now Available for Taft University's Doctor of Education Program". RedOrbit. September 24, 2008.
- "DETC News" (PDF). Distance Education and Training Council. Spring 2006.
- "News 2010 - New Undergraduate Business Programs". William Howard Taft University. February 2010.
- "William Howard Taft University Announces New Online Doctor of Business Administration Program". Forbes. March 11, 2010.
- William Howard Taft University, DETC website, accessed July 12, 2013
- Faculty biography, Dr. Scott Morrison at St. Mary's University, Calgary
- Faculty biography, Dr. Sam Stewart at Abilene Christian University
- Faculty biogaphy, Dr. Susan Ratliff at Hartnell College
- Faculty biography, Dr. Shirley Caruso at Southern Illinois University