|Died||21 May 1876|
William Hughes FRGS (1818 – 21 May 1876) was an English geographer, cartographer, author and academic.
Hughes was Professor of Geography at King's College and Queen's College, London and Royal Female Naval School. He was for many years Examiner in Geography to the College of Preceptors. He died at his home, Adelaide Road, St John's Wood, London.
Hughes was the author of many books; atlases for the classroom, and books for biblical studies and general reference. He was also a prolific editor of reference works and textbooks. Some of his publications were later revised by Sir Richard Gregory, and by John Francon Williams.
- Directions for Taking Instructions on Wills 1840
- Three Students of Grays Inn (novel) 1846
- The Stamp Duties Act 1850
- The Origin and Condition of the Australian Colonies Longman & Co. 1852
- Manual of Mathematical Geography 1852
- A Manual of Geography, Physical, Industrial and Political 1852
- It's All for the Best (3-volume novel) 1853
- A Class-book of Modern Geography 1859
- Philips' Family Atlas of Physical, General and Classical Geography 1859
- A Manual of Geography
- Manual of British Geography
- Elementary Class-book of Modern Geography 1860
- A Manual of European Geography 1861
- A Class-book of Physical Geography 1861
- Outlines of Geography 1864
- The Geography of River Systems 1865
- Elementary Class-book of Physical Geography 1866
- Geography in its Relation to History 1870
- Geography of the British Isles 1887
- Bible Maps pub. John W. Parker, London
- Philips' Atlas of Scripture Geography
- Hughes W. (Revised by R. A. Gregory) An Elementary Classbook of Physical Geography 1904
- General Geography, Simplified for beginners (in Gleig's School Series)
- Geography of the British Empire, Simplified for beginners (in Gleig's School Series)
- The Child's First Book of Geography (in Gleig's School Series)
- Vaughan, J. E. "William Hughes, FRGS (1818–1876) as Geographical Educationist". In W. E. Marsden (ed.) Historical Perspectives on Geographical Education (IGU Commission on Geographical Education: University of London Institute of Education, 1980)
- Baigent, Elizabeth. "Hughes, William (1817–1876)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/41217. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- "The Late Professor Wm. Hughes, F.R.G.S." South Australian Register. Adelaide: National Library of Australia. 28 July 1876. p. 7. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- "Family Notices". The South Australian Advertiser. Adelaide: National Library of Australia. 25 July 1876. p. 4. Retrieved 17 November 2011.