William J. Birnes
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
William J. Birnes
|Born||November 7, 1944|
|Education||New York University, Concord University|
|Occupation||Author, Editor, Publisher|
|Known for||UFO Hunters|
William J. "Bill" Birnes (born November 7, 1944) is an American author, the incoming auditor for Solebury Township, Pennsylvania, the Chairman of the Board at Sunrise Community Counseling Center, and ufologist. A graduate of New York University, he holds a Ph.D in medieval literature (with a dissertation on Piers Plowman) from the same institution (1974) and later earned a J.D. degree from Concord Law School.
Birnes believes that Earth has been visited by many different types of extraterrestrials, and that pictures taken by NASA have been airbrushed to remove any evidence of alien activity. Birnes speculates that NASA may have taken missions to the Moon after Apollo 17, but these missions were kept secret from the public due to alien interference and new-found extraterrestrial artifacts. Birnes claims that NASA made three additional trips to the Moon; Apollo 18, Apollo 19, and Apollo 20. Additionally, he claims that the Apollo 13 incident was actually an extraterrestrial attack meant to scare humans away from landing on the Moon.
Birnes’s credibility was called into question when a UFO sighting over Morris County, New Jersey, on January 5, 2009, featured on the show UFO Hunters as a preview of the show's third season was later recognized as a hoax designed to be a social experiment. The perpetrators of the event, in which they launched Chinese lanterns near a local airport, claimed that they had hoaxed UFO Hunters even though no claims were made on the show with respect to the origin of what local witnesses claimed to be UFO sightings.
As a writer of popular nonfiction, he co-authored The Riverman with detective/academic Robert D. Keppel (1995), an account of serial killer Ted Bundy's involvement in the apprehension of Green River Killer Gary Ridgway. The book was adapted into a made-for-TV film (2004) on A&E. As a UFOlogist, Birnes collaborated with Philip J. Corso, on The Day After Roswell (1998), appeared on the History Channel's television documentary series: UFO Files (2004–2007), Ancient Aliens (2009–2013), NASA's Unexplained Files and I Know What I Saw. He starred in UFO Hunters (2008–2009) as leader of an investigative team of fellow ufologists, and later wrote a book by the same name documenting his experiences on the show. Birnes has repeatedly appeared as a guest on the late night radio talk-show Coast to Coast AM to discuss UFOs. Birnes most recent nonfiction works are Dr. Feelgood with Richard Lertzman, Wounded Minds and Hearts of Darkness with Dr. John Liebert, The Life and Times of Mickey Rooney with Richard Lertzman, Beyond Columbo, The Life and Times of Peter Falk with Richard Lertzman, Edison v. Tesla, The Battle Over Their Last Invention with Joel Martin, Psychiatric Criminology with Dr. John Liebert, and UFO Hunters Book 2. Birnes will be appearing again in the third season of NASA's Unexplained Files and in early 2016 on Reelz TV's Dr. Feelgood.
- The Day After Roswell (1998) with Philip J. Corso ISBN 0-671-00461-1
- Star Trek Cookbook (1999) with Ethan Phillips
- Unsolved UFO Mysteries (2000) with Harold Burt
- The UFO Magazine UFO Encyclopedia (2004)
- Space Wars: The First Six Hours of World War III (2007) with William B. Scott, Michael J. Coumatos ISBN 0-7653-1087-2
- Worker in the Light: Unlock Your Five Senses And Liberate Your Limitless Potential (2008) with George Noory
- Serial Violence: Analysis of Modus Operandi and Signature Characteristics of Killers (2008) with Robert D. Keppel
- The Haunting of America: From the Salem Witch Trials to Harry Houdini (2009) with Joel Martin & George Noory
- Journey to the Light: Find Your Spiritual Self and Enter Into a World of Infinite Opportunity (2009) with George Noory
- Counterspace: The Next Hours of World War III (2009) with William B. Scott & Michael J. Coumatos
- UFO Hunters (2009)
- George Noory's Late-Night Snacks: Winning Recipes for Late-Night Radio Listening (2013) with George Noory
- The Haunting of Twenty-First-Century America (2013) with Joel Martin
- "Bill Birnes Talks Aliens and Apollo 18". huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- Keppel, Robert D., Birnes, William J.. Academic Press, 2003, p. xii.
- "William J. Birnes Coast to Coast Guest". coasttocoastam.com. Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- "Bill Birnes on Apollo 18". askmen.com. Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- "UFO Hoax Was a Social Experiment". livescience.com. Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- "Bill Birnes - UFO Hunters Cast - HISTORY.com". history.com. Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- "UFO Hunters | William J. Birnes | Macmillan". us.macmillan.com. Retrieved 2015-08-30.