William J. Hamblin
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
William James Hamblin (born 1954) is a professor of history at Brigham Young University (BYU). He is a former board member of the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies (FARMS) at BYU.
Hamblin received his bachelor's degree in history from BYU. He did his graduate studies from the University of Michigan, receiving an M.A. in history in 1981, an M.A. in Near East Studies in 1984, and a Ph.D. in history in 1985. The title of his Dissertation was The Fatimid Army During the Early Crusades. Prior to joining the faculty of BYU in 1989, Hamblin was a history professor at the University of Southern Mississippi, an instructor at Campbell University and a Middle East intelligence analyst for the United States Department of Defense. Hamblin contributed many articles to The International Military Encyclopedia.
Hamblin has taught as a professor at the BYU Jerusalem Center and is currently teaching at Brigham Young University in the History Department.
Hamblin is also known in his role in Mormon apologetics. He has written on archaeology and the Book of Mormon, both in general articles for the Journal of Book of Mormon Studies and in response to criticisms to the historicity of the Book of Mormon. Hamblin, who has served as editor of the LDS apologetics journal Interpreter, has contributed articles there, as well.
- Warfare in the Ancient Near East to 1600 BC published by Routledge in 2005.
- Solomon's Temple: Myth and History (Thames and Hudson, 2007) (with David Seely)
- "The Fatimid army during the early Crusades / William James Hamblin". Copyright Catalog (1978 to present). United States Copyright Office. Retrieved 2010-02-14.
- "Symposium This Week at BYU on Warfare in Book of Mormon". Deseret News. March 23, 1989.
- Tobias, Norman, ed. (1997), "Contents of Volume 1", The International Military Encyclopedia, Gulf Breeze, Florida: Academic International Press, ISBN 0875691595, OCLC 27147565, retrieved 2008-08-29
- Hamblin, William J. (1993). "Basic Methodological Problems with the Anti-Mormon Approach to Book of Mormon Geography and Archaeology and Warfare". Journal of Book of Mormon Studies. Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute. 2 (1). Retrieved 2008-08-29.
- Hamblin, William J. (1993). "Archaeology and the Book of Mormon". FARMS Review. Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute. 5 (1). Retrieved 2008-08-29.
- "Warfare In Ancient Near East". Eisenbrauns Inc. Retrieved 2008-08-29.