William J. Murphy (Rhode Island politician)
|William J. Murphy|
|221st Speaker of the Rhode Island House of Representatives|
January 7, 2003 – February 11, 2010
|Preceded by||John B. Harwood|
|Succeeded by||Gordon D. Fox|
|Member of the Rhode Island House of Representatives
from the 26th district
January 5, 1993 – January 2011
|Succeeded by||Patricia Morgan|
January 4, 1963 |
West Warwick, Rhode Island
|Residence||West Warwick, Rhode Island|
|Alma mater||University of Hartford (BA),
Franklin Pierce Law Center (JD)
William J. Murphy (born 1963) is an American attorney and was a Democratic member of the Rhode Island House of Representatives, representing the 26th District from 1993 to 2011. He served as the 221st Speaker of the House from January 7, 2003 to February 11, 2010, when he handed over the gavel to his majority leader, Gordon D. Fox.
- "Representative William J. Murphy Speaker Of The House Biography". State of Rhode Island General Assembly. State of Rhode Island General Assembly. Archived from the original on 28 August 2009.
- Gregg, Katherine (April 16, 2014). "Former Speaker Murphy representing his embattled successor, Gordon Fox". Providence Journal. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- Archive of Rhode Island House Representative William J. Murphy Profile
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Follow the Money - William J. Murphy
- Archive of article about his plan to step down as Speaker of the House
|This article about a Rhode Island politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|