William J. Waltersheid
William John Waltersheid
|Auxiliary Bishop of Pittsburgh|
Titular Bishop of California
|Appointed||February 25, 2011|
|Installed||April 25, 2011|
|Other posts||Titular Bishop of California|
|Ordination||July 11, 1992|
by Nicholas Dattilo
|Consecration||April 25, 2011|
by David Zubik, Joseph McFadden, and Daniel Thomas
|Born||November 18, 1956|
|Alma mater||Pottsville Hospital School of Nursing (1983)|
St. John Seminary College (B.A., 1987)
Pontifical Gregorian University (B.A., 1991; S.T.L., 1993)
|Motto||ECCE MATER TUA|
(Behold thy mother)
William John Waltersheid
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
William John Waltersheid (born November 18, 1956) is an American Catholic bishop. He was appointed auxiliary bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh on February 25, 2011, and consecrated a bishop on April 25, 2011.
William John Waltersheid was born in Ashland, Pennsylvania on November 18, 1956. After his high school graduation, Waltersheid worked in healthcare, graduating from the Pottsville Hospital School of Nursing in 1983. He entered seminary in 1985, graduating from St. John Seminary College in Brighton, Massachusetts. He went on for theological studies at the Pontifical Gregorian University, receiving a degree in Theology and a Licentiate in Dogmatic Theology in 1991.
Waltersheid was ordained a priest of the Diocese of Harrisburg on July 11, 1992. He remained in Rome for further studies until 1995, after which he was appointed vicar at a parish in Steelton. Returning to Rome, he served on the faculty of the Pontifical North American College until 2003. He served as pastor at St. Patrick Parish, Carlisle, PA from June 2003 to June 2006. He served as Diocesan Secretary for Clergy and Consecrated Life in Harrisburg starting in June 2006.
Auxiliary Bishop of Pittsburgh
Waltersheid was appointed auxiliary bishop of the Diocese of Pittsburgh with the titular see of California on February 25, 2011. On March 11, 2011, the Diocese of Pittsburgh announced that Bishop David Zubik would appoint him Episcopal Vicar for Clergy and Secretary for Clergy. Waltersheid was consecrated on Easter Monday, April 25, 2011, at St. Paul's Cathedral in Pittsburgh.
- "Very Rev. William J. Waltersheid, STL of the Diocese of Harrisburg, PA Named Auxiliary Bishop for the Diocese of Pittsburgh" (Press release). Diocese of Pittsburgh. February 25, 2011. Retrieved February 26, 2011.
- Chow, Gabriel (February 25, 2011). "Waltersheid, William John". Giga-Catholic Information. Retrieved February 26, 2011.
- "Bishop Zubik Announces Pastoral Staff Changes, Appointment for Bishop-Elect Waltersheid" (Press release). Diocese of Pittsburgh. March 11, 2011. Retrieved May 17, 2011.
- Chow, Gabriel. "Waltersheid, William John". Giga-Catholic Information. Retrieved June 17, 2011.
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh Official Site
- Diocesan biography of Aux. Bp. Waltersheid
- Video of Aux. Bp. Waltersheid's installation Mass
|Catholic Church titles|
| Auxiliary Bishop of Pittsburgh