William Kipsang at the 2008 Rotterdam Marathon
26 April 1977 |
William Rop Kipsang (born 26 June 1977) is a Kenyan long-distance runner who specialises in the marathon. He has won marathons in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Beirut and Seoul. His personal best for the event is 2:05:49 hours.
His best performance was on 13 April 2008, winning the Rotterdam Marathon with a new course record and PR of 2:05:49. On 15 April 2007 he was placed third in this race, running in difficult circumstances due to the warm weather. He has previously won the Amsterdam Marathon (2003), the Egmond Half Marathon (2004) and the Dam tot Damloop 10 mile race (2005).
In 2006 he earned seventh place in the New York City Marathon. Kipsang did not compete in the marathon for two years between 2008 and 2010, and his comeback at the Seoul International Marathon was a slow 2:24:11 run for 33rd place – a time only two seconds quicker than the women's winner that year. He struggled to return to his previous form, but did manage to improve upon his Seoul outing the following year, taking sixth at the Rock 'n' Roll San Diego Marathon in 2:15:06. He ran two marathons in 2012: a return to San Diego saw him fare worse than the previous year, managing only ninth in 2:16:43, but his run of 2:14:53 hours for third at the Beirut Marathon was his best time and placing in a marathon since 2008.
- 2002: 1st Montferland Run - 44.33
- 2005: 1st Dam tot Damloop - 46:04
- 2004: 1st Egmond Half Marathon - 1:04:50
- 2003: 12th Paris Marathon - 2:12:34
- 2003: 1st Amsterdam Marathon - 2:06:39
- 2004: 2nd Seoul International Marathon - 2:07:43
- 2004: 2nd Amsterdam Marathon - 2:08:40
- 2005: 1st Seoul International Marathon - 2:08:53
- 2005: 7th Chicago Marathon - 2:09:49
- 2006: 8th Seoul International Marathon - 2:13:30
- 2006: 7th New York City Marathon - 2:11:54
- 2007: 3rd Rotterdam Marathon - 2:11:03
- 2007: 10th New York City Marathon - 2:15:32
- 2008: 1st Rotterdam Marathon - 2:05:49
- 2010: 7th Chicago Marathon - 2:16:41
- 2013: 1st Beirut Marathon - 02:13:34
|10 km||28:11||2007-03-17||The Hague|
|15 km||42:34||2007-03-17||The Hague|
|20 km||57:07||2007-03-17||The Hague|
|Half Marathon||1:00:25||2007-03-17||The Hague|
- "Kipsang sets 2:05:49 course record in Rotterdam". IAAF. 2008-04-13.
- Report 2003 - Amsterdam Marathon in the Netherlands (Holland) - Time-to-Run - Marathon section
- Dam to Damloop past winners (Dutch)
- Jalava, Mirko (2010-03-21). Surprise in Seoul – Teimet clocks 2:06:49 – Seoul International Marathon. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-03-22.
- William Kipsang. Tilastopaja. Retrieved on 2013-11-27.
- Minshull, Phil (2013-11-10). Kipsang returns to the top of the podium at Beirut Marathon. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-11-27.