William Louis Culberson
|William Louis Culberson|
April 5, 1929|
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
|Died||February 8, 2003
Durham, North Carolina, United States
|Alma mater||University of Cincinnati, University of Paris, University of Wisconsin–Madison|
|Influences||E. Lucy Braun|
|Notable awards||Acharius Medal (1992)|
|Spouse||Chicita F. Forman (m. 1953)|
Culberson earned his bachelor's degree at the University of Cincinnati, where he was influenced by E. Lucy Braun; he subsequently attended the University of Paris and the University of Wisconsin–Madison.
In 1955, Culberson joined the botany department at Duke University; he subsequently managed Duke's acquisition of the lichen-centric herbaria of Julien Harmand and Johan Havaas. He served as the Hugo L. Blomquist Professor. In 2010, the lichen collection was officially named the William Louis & Chicita F. Culberson Lichen Herbarium & Library.
He served as president of the Botanical Society of America and the American Bryological and Lichenological Society and as director of the Sarah P. Duke Gardens. He was the first editor-in-chief of the journal Systematic Botany. In 1992, he became one of the first modern recipients of the Acharius Medal.
- WILLIAM LOUIS CULBERSON (1929-2003) in BOTANICAL ELECTRONIC NEWS (archived at the University of Oklahoma); by Lewis E. Anderson; published February 26, 2003
- Yoon, Carol Kaesuk (June 13, 1995). "Pariahs of the Fungal World, Lichens Finally Get Some Respect". The New York Times.
- Elix, John A.; Nash III, Thomas H. (2003). "A tribute to William Louis Culberson". The Lichenologist. 35 (2): 93–95. doi:10.1016/S0024-2829(03)00025-2.
- Obituary: Dr. William Louis Culberson (1929 - 2003); by Isao Yoshimura; in the Newsletter of the Japanese Society for Lichenology, no. 21 (page 72 - English version); retrieved October 22, 2013
- PLANT SCIENCE BULLETIN: A Publication of the Botanical Society of America, December 1975 Vol. 21 No. 4; archived at Botany.org
- Acharius Medallists at Lichenology.org; retrieved October 22, 2013
- Acharius Medallists: William Louis Culberson at Lichenology.org; retrieved October 22, 2013
- "Author Query for 'W.L.Culb.'". International Plant Names Index.
- on YouTube.