William Lucas Distant
William Lucas Distant
|Died||4 February 1922 (aged 76)|
|Spouse(s)||Edith Blanche de Rubain|
Distant was born in Rotherhithe, the son of whaling captain Alexander Distant.
A whaling trip with his father in 1867 (he considered 5 August 1867 as the most eventful day in his life) to the Malay Peninsula aroused his interest in natural history, and resulted in the publication of Rhopalocera Malayana (1882–1886), a description of the butterflies of the Malay Peninsula.
Much of Distant's early life was spent working in a London tannery, and while employed there he made two long visits to the Transvaal. The first resulted in the publication of A Naturalist in the Transvaal (1892). The second visit, of some four years, gave him time to amass a large collection of insects, of which many were described in Insecta Transvaaliensia (1900–1911). In 1890 he married Edith Blanche de Rubain. In 1897 he succeeded James Edmund Harting as editor of The Zoologist. From 1899 to 1920 he was employed by the Natural History Museum, describing many new species found in their collection, and devoting most of his time to the Rhynchota (true bugs).
His other works included Volume I of the Heteroptera and part of Volume I of the Homoptera of the Biologia Centrali-Americana (1880–1900), and the Hemiptera volumes of The Fauna of British India, Including Ceylon and Burma (1902–1918).
Distant's collection of 50,000 specimens was purchased by the Natural History Museum in 1920. He died of cancer at Wanstead.
A partial list of works is as follows.
- 1902-1918: The Fauna of British India, Including Ceylon and Burma. (Rhynchota volumes 1–7)
- 1900-1911: Insecta Transvaaliensia: A Contribution to the Entomology of South Africa.
- A Naturalist in the Transvaal
- A Monograph of Oriental Cicadidae
- Rhopalocera Malayana: A Description of the Butterflies of the Malay Peninsula
- Biologia Centrali-Americana: Insecta Rhynchota Hemiptera-Heteroptera
- Biologia Centrali-Americana
- Rhynchotal Motes: Membracidae
- "Rhynchota from New Caledonia and the Surrounding Islands" in Fritz Sarasin and Jean Roux's Nova Caledonia: Forschungen in NeuCalodonien und auf den Loyalty-Inslen - Recherches scientifiques en Nouvelle Calédonie et aux Iles Loyalty
- A Synonymic Catalogue of Homoptera
- 1912: Homoptera : fam. Cicadidae : subfam. Cicadinae.
- Scientific Results of the Second Yarkand Mission: Based Upon the Collections and Notes of the Late Ferdinand Stoliczka: Rhynchota
- Rao, BR Subba (1998) History of Entomology in India. Institution of Agricultural Technologists, Bangalore.
- "Obituary - W. L. Distant". The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co.: 70 1922. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- Beolens, Bo; Watkins, Michael; Grayson, Michael (2011). The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. xiii + 296 pp. ISBN 978-1-4214-0135-5. ("Distant", p. 73).
- Dolling, W. R. 1991. Bibliographies of the works of W. L. Distant and G. W. Kirkaldy. Tymbal, suppl. no. 1: 60 pp.
- Insecta Transvaaliensia (1900-1911): OCLC 668405524; pt.4 Lepidoptera (1903) in Biodiversity Heritage Library.
- Homoptera (1912): OCLC 843365845
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to William Lucas Distant.|
- NDSU biographical information. Archived link. Archived 14 July 2006. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- Works by or about William Lucas Distant at Internet Archive
- Biologia Centrali-Americana - Insecta, Hemiptera, Heteroptera-Homoptera