William M. LeoGrande
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dean of the American University School of Public Affairs and a specialist in Latin American politics and U.S. foreign policy toward Latin America, Professor LeoGrande has been a frequent adviser to government and private sector agencies.
He has written five books, the latest of which is Our Own Backyard: The United States in Central America, 1977 - 1992. Previously, he served on the staffs of the Democratic Policy Committee of the United States Senate, and the Democratic Caucus Task Force on Central America of the United States House of Representatives.
Professor LeoGrande has been a Council on Foreign Relations International Affairs Fellow, and a Pew Faculty Fellow in International Affairs. His articles have appeared in Foreign Affairs, Foreign Policy, American Political Science Review, Latin American Research Review, The New Republic, The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The Miami Herald, and other journals and newspapers.
Dr. LeoGrande was Acting Dean of the School of Public Affairs from 1997-1999 before assuming the position as Dean, which he left in 2011.
- "Tug of War: How Real Is the Rivalry Between Congress and the President Over Foreign Policy?" Congress and the Presidency 29:113-118. 2002.
- "Cuba's Quest for Economic Independence." Journal of Latin American Studies 34:325-363. 2002.
- "América Central: Una década de democracia." Foreign Affairs en Español 2:3-10. 2001.
- "Cuba: The Shape of Things to Come." In Cuba: Contours of Change., ed. Susan Kaufman Purcell and David Rothkopf. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner. 2000.
- "Conclusion: Cuba's Dilemma and Ours." In Cuba: Contours of Change., ed. Susan Kaufman Purcell and David Rothkopf. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner. 2000.
- Our Own Backyard: The United States in Central America, 1977-1993. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press. 1998.
- LeoGrande, William M., Louis Goodman and Johanna Mendelson. 1992. Political Parties in Central America. Boulder, CO: Westview.
- LeoGrande, William M.., Philip Brenner, Daniel Siegel, and Donna Rich. 1988. The Cuba Reader: The Making of a Revolutionary Society. New York, NY: Grove Press.
- LeoGrande, William M., Morris Blachman and Kenneth Sharpe. 1986. Confronting Revolution: Security Through Diplomacy in Central America. New York, NY: Pantheon Books.