William Montagu, 7th Duke of Manchester
William Drogo Montagu, 7th Duke of Manchester KP (15 October 1823 – 22 March 1890), known as Lord Kimbolton from 1823 to 1843 and as Viscount Mandeville from 1843 to 1855, was a British peer and Conservative Member of Parliament.
William Montagu was born at Kimbolton Castle in 1823. He was the eldest son of George Montagu, 6th Duke of Manchester. His mother was Millicent Sparrow, daughter of Brig. Gen. Robert Bernard Sparrow of Brampton Park, Huntingdonshire.
He joined the Canterbury Association on 27 May 1848. It was Edward Gibbon Wakefield's unfulfilled hope that Lord Mandeville would emigrate to New Zealand and be the aristocratic leader in the colony. However Lord Mandeville and his grandmother, Lady Olivia Sparrow, did buy 500 acres (200 ha) of land between them in Riccarton. Mandeville North near Kaiapoi is named after Lord Mandeville.
He succeeded to the dukedom on the death of his father in 1855, inheriting the family seat of Kimbolton Castle in Huntingdonshire.
He had an illegitimate son with Sarah Maria Morris. When Sarah was 8 months pregnant, the Montagu Family had her married off to Samuel Palmer on 4 March 1850. When the child was born on the 10 May 1850, he was named William Edward Palmer. William Edward Palmer married Emma Prentice on 24 December 1873 at Harrold, Bedfordshire.
William married Countess Luise Friederike Auguste von Alten on 22 July 1852. They had five children:
- George Victor Drogo Montagu, 8th Duke of Manchester (17 June 1853 – 18 August 1892) he married Francisca de la Consolacion Yznaga on 22 May 1876. They had three children.
- Lady Mary Louisa Elizabeth Montagu (27 December 1854 – 10 February 1934) she married William Douglas-Hamilton, 12th Duke of Hamilton on 10 December 1873. They had one daughter. She remarried Robert Forster on 20 July 1897.
- Lady Louisa Augusta Beatrice Montagu (17 January 1856 – 3 March 1944) she married Archibald Acheson, 4th Earl of Gosford on 10 August 1876. They had five children.
- Lord Charles William Augustus Montagu (23 November 1860 – 10 November 1939) he married Hon. Mildred Sturt (daughter of Henry Gerard Sturt, 1st Baron Alington) on 4 December 1930.
- Lady Alice Maude Olivia Montagu (15 August 1862 – 23 July 1957) she married Edward Stanley, 17th Earl of Derby on 5 January 1889. They had three children.
Styles of address
- 1823–1843: Lord Kimbolton
- 1843–1848: Viscount Mandeville
- 1848–1855: Viscount Mandeville MP
- 1855–1877: His Grace The Duke of Manchester
- 1877–1890: His Grace The Duke of Manchester KP
- Bain, Rev. Michael (2007). The Canterbury Association (1848–1852): A Study of Its Members’ Connections (PDF). Christchurch: Project Canterbury. pp. 60–61. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to William Montagu, 7th Duke of Manchester.|
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Duke of Manchester
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Bewdley
Sir Thomas Winnington, Bt
| Member of Parliament for Huntingdonshire
With: Edward Fellowes
|Peerage of Great Britain|
| Duke of Manchester
George Victor Drogo Montagu