William Murray, 8th Earl of Mansfield and Mansfield
|Born||7 July 1930|
|Died||21 October 2015|
|Alma mater||Christ Church, Oxford|
|Title||8th Earl of Mansfield and Mansfield|
|Children||2 sons, 1 daughter|
|Parent(s)||Mungo Murray, 7th Earl of Mansfield and Mansfield
Dorothea Helena Carnegie
|Relatives||Lancelot Carnegie (maternal grandfather)|
William Murray was born on 7 July 1930. He was the only son of Mungo Murray, 7th Earl of Mansfield and Mansfield, and his wife Dorothea Helena, younger daughter of Sir Lancelot Carnegie. He was educated at Eton College and Christ Church, Oxford. He served with the Scots Guards in Malaya from 1949 to 1950. He was called to the bar, Inner Temple, in 1958.
Murray was a barrister from 1958 until 1971, when he succeeded his father as Earl of Mansfield.
He was a member of the British Delegation to the European Parliament from 1973 to 1975 (prior to the direct election of Members of the European Parliament), and was an opposition spokesman in the House of Lords from 1975 to 1979. He was a Minister of State in the Scottish Office from 1979 to 1983 and in the Northern Ireland Office from 1983 to 1984.
Murray has also held a number of business and charitable appointments, such as serving as first president of the Federation of Hunting Associations of the European Communities (FACE) from 1977 to 1979.
He was the first President of the Scottish Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders and from 1985 to 1996 served as First Crown Estate Commissioner.
Marriage & Children
Murray married Pamela Joan Foster on 19 December 1955. They had three children:
- Alexander David Mungo Murray, 9th Earl of Mansfield and Mansfield (born 17 October 1956)
- Lady Georgina Dorothea Mary Murray (born 10 March 1967)
- Hon James William Murray (born 7 June 1969)
Murray died on 21 October 2015 and his funeral and memorial service were held at St John's Kirk of Perth on 30 October 2015, with a reception at Scone Palace. He was succeeded by his son Alexander David Mungo Murray.
|Ancestors of William Murray, 8th Earl of Mansfield and Mansfield|
- Dewar, Peter Beauclerk (2001-08). Burke's landed gentry of Great Britain: together with members of the titled and non-titled contemporary establishment. Burke's Peerage. p. 1077. ISBN 978-0-9711966-0-5. Retrieved 5 April 2011. Check date values in:
- "Murray family tree". Scone Palace.
- The Peerage, entry for 8th Earl of Mansfield
- "Patronesses". Royal Caledonian Ball.
- "The Earl of Mansfield & Mansfield 1930-2015". Peerage News.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Mansfield and Mansfield
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|Earl of Mansfield and Mansfield
|This biography of an earl in the peerage of Great Britain is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the European Parliament from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|