William Otter (23 October 1768 – 20 August 1840) was the first Principal of King's College, London, who later served as Bishop of Chichester. He was educated at Jesus College, Cambridge where he was later made a fellow. He was appointed Principal of the newly established King's College, London, in 1831, and held the post until 1836 when he was appointed Bishop of Chichester.
William Otter was born at Cuckney, Nottinghamshire on 23 Oct 1768, the son of Dorothy née Wright ( -1772) and Rev. Edward Otter. On 3 July 1804 in Leatherhead, Surrey he married Nancy Sadleir Bruère, granddaughter of George Bruere, British Governor of Bermuda. They had three sons and five daughters:
- The Venerable William Bruère Otter, Archdeacon of Lewes (1805-1876), who married Elizabeth Melvil (1814-1892). They had four sons and six daughters, including Lt. William Otter RN (1840-1870). Hugh Otter-Barry was their grand-son.
- Sophia Otter (1807-1889), married the Reverend Henry Malthus (1805-1882), son of Thomas Robert Malthus, FRS
- Caroline Charlotte Otter (1809-1855) married John Romilly, 1st Baron Romilly
- Jacqueline Elizabeth Otter (1811-1849) married Alexander Trotter a banker and stockbroker working at Coutts bank. Among their children were:
- After Jacqueline's death Alexander married Isabella Strange (1816-1878) daughter of Sir Thomas Strange. Their children were:
- Maria Otter (1814- ) who married Sir William Milbourne James (1807-1881), Lord Justice of Appeal, Their son Maj. William Christopher James married Effie Gray Millais, the daughter of Effie Gray and John Everett Millais.
- Alfred William Otter (1815-1866) who married Anna Louisa de la Hooke (1824-1907). One of their sons was Gen. William Dillon Otter KCB CVO VD
- Amelia Harriet Otter (1817-1890) who married Edward Strutt, 1st Baron Belper (1801-1880)
- Reginald William Ongley Otter (1826-1862)
- "The first Principals of King's College London". Retrieved 30 November 2008.
- "Otter, William (OTR785W)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Letter of Midshipman William Otter
- Trotter, Coutts (1899). "Trotter, Coutts (DNB00)". In Lee, Sidney. Dictionary of National Biography. 57. London: Smith, Elder & Co.
|Principal of King's College London
Hugh James Rose
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Chichester
Philip Nicholas Shuttleworth