William R. Fairchild International Airport
|William R. Fairchild International Airport|
Port Angeles Army Airfield
2006 USGS Orthophoto
|Owner||Port of Port Angeles|
|Serves||Port Angeles, Washington|
|Elevation AMSL||291 ft / 89 m|
William R. Fairchild International Airport (IATA: CLM, ICAO: KCLM, FAA LID: CLM) is a public airport located within the city limits of Port Angeles, in Clallam County, Washington, United States. It lies 3.5 miles (3.0 nmi; 5.6 km) northwest of the central business district of Port Angeles, near the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The airport is owned by the Port of Port Angeles.
The airport was developed from 1934 through 1948 by the Works Progress Administration, the U.S. Army and the U.S. Navy. It was named Clallam County Municipal Landing Field when ownership was given to Clallam County in 1948. Three years later the county transferred the airport to the Port of Port Angeles. In 1953, William R. Fairchild started the Angeles Flying Service and became the first airport supervisor. The airport was renamed in his honor in 1969, following his death in an aircraft accident.
Facilities and aircraft
- 8/26 measuring 6,347 ft × 150 ft (1,935 m × 46 m)
- 13/31 measuring 3,245 ft × 50 ft (989 m × 15 m).
The primary runway is operated with an Instrument Landing System and can handle aircraft up to a Boeing 737.
For the 12-month period ending February 1, 2005, the airport had 52,675 aircraft operations, an average of 155 per day: 89% general aviation, 11% air taxi, and <1% military. At that time there were 85 aircraft based at this airport: 92% single-engine, 6% multi-engine and 2% helicopter.
Fairchild Airport is also home to Port Angeles' Civil Air Patrol squadron.
- Port of Port Angeles: William R. Fairchild International Airport
- WSDOT Pilot's Guide: Wm. R. Fairchild International (PDF 59 kb)
- WSDOT Economic Impacts: William R. Fairchild International (PDF 434 kb)
- Aerial photo from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for CLM, effective October 11, 2018
- Resources for this airport:
- AC-U-KWIK information for KCLM