William R. Hammer
William R. Hammer
|Alma mater||Wayne State University (Ph.D., M.S., and B.S.)|
|Known for||Fossil vertebrates of Antarctica including Cryolophosaurus|
|Awards||Laureate of The Lincoln Academy of Illinois, Order of Lincoln (2013) in the area of Education, Antarctic Service Medal|
|Institutions||Augustana College, IL, Field Museum of Natural History|
William Roy Hammer is an American paleontologist who is credited with the discovery of the first carnivorous dinosaur unearthed in Antarctica, Cryolophosaurus, in 1991. He was professor of geology and curator of the Frxyell Geology Museum at Augustana College in Rock Island, IL from 1981-2017. 
Hammer was born in Detroit, Michigan and attended Wayne State University where he earned a bachelors and masters in Zoology and completed a doctorate in Paleontology. As a student researcher, he was introduced to the study of fossil vertebrates in Antarctica by his advisor, Dr. John Cosgriff, and led expeditions to Antarctica from 1977 until his retirement in 2017.
Hammer also collected the partial remains of a sauropodmoropha dinosaur in Antarctica. When the specimen was later described and the species named, Glacialisaurus hammeri, it was to honor Dr. Hammer for his contributions to vertebrate paleontology and Antarctic research.
- "Augustana College". Field Museum. Retrieved 22 April 2018.
- "Laureates by Year". The Lincoln Academy of Illinois. Retrieved 22 April 2018.
- Farlow, James Orville; Walters, Robert H. The Complete Dinosaur. Indiana University Press. p. 50. ISBN 978-0-253-21313-6.
- Debus, Allen G. Dinosaur Memories: Dino-trekking for Beasts of Thunder, Fantastic Saurians, 'Paleo-people,' 'Dinosaurabilia,' and other 'Prehistoria'. Authors Choice Press. p. 492. ISBN 0-595-22988-3.
- Rubin, Jeff. Lonely Planet Antarctica (Lonely Planet Antarctica). Lonely Planet Publications. p. 247. ISBN 1-74059-094-5.
- "Anatomy of a basal sauropodomorph dinosaur from the Early Jurassic Hanson Formation of Antarctica - Acta Palaeontologica Polonica". app.pan.pl. Retrieved 2018-11-01.
- Hammer, W.R., and Hickerson, W.J., 1994. A crested theropod dinosaur from Antarctica. Science 264:828-830.
|This article about an American scientist in academia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|