William Ryan (53rd Congress)
Born in Tipperary, Ireland on March 8, 1840, Ryan immigrated to the United States with his parents, who settled in Stanwich (now Greenwich, Connecticut) in 1844. He attended the local schools, worked on farms near Greenwich and taught school. In the spring of 1859, he went to the Rocky Mountains and engaged in prospecting and mining until 1861, when he settled in Port Chester, New York. Ryan was a successful farmer, merchant and banker.
A Democrat, he served in local office including school board member. He was Town Supervisor of Rye from 1883 to 1885. In 1886 he was appointed Undersheriff of Westchester County and he served until 1889. He was a member of the New York State Assembly (Westchester Co., 2nd D.) in 1891 and 1892.
Ryan resumed his business interests after leaving Congress, including serving as President of the Port Chester Savings Bank and operating a Florida ranch that produced oranges. He also served as President of the Village of Port Chester.
Death and burial
- James Hilton Manning, Century of American Savings Banks, 1917, page 219
- New York Times, The Argus Almanac: A Political and Financial Annual, 1890, page 138
- John Thomas Scharf, History of Westchester County: New York, Volume 2, 1886, pages 708-709
- Westchester County Board of Legislators, Proceedings of the County Board of Legislators of Westchester County, N.Y., 1895, page 662
- John Thomas Scharf, editor, History of Westchester County, New York, Volume 1, 1886, page 656
- Henry Townsend Smith, compiler, Manual of Westchester County, Past and Present: Civil List to Date, 1898, page 109
- New York State Legislative Bill Drafting Commission, Laws of the State of New York, 1891, page viii
- William Richard Cutter, American Biography: A New Cyclopedia, Volume 22, 1925, page 327
- United States Congress, A Biographical Congressional Directory, 1913, page 349
- New York State Legislature, Legislative Documents, Volume 2, 1921, page 306
- Port Chester Journal, De Witt H. Lyon New President, February 9, 1909
- James Hilton Manning, Century of American Savings Banks, page 219
- Port Chester Journal, Hon. William Ryan, January, 1913
- St. Petersburg Independent, Crescent City Visitor Dyes: Eyan, 85, Former Congressman from new York is Dead, February 19, 1925
- Thomas E. Spencer, Where They're Buried, 1998, page 250
- United States Congress. "William Ryan (id: R000561)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- William Ryan at Find a Grave
|New York Assembly|
|New York State Assembly
Westchester County, 2nd District
Alfred H. Morris
|United States House of Representatives|
John H. Ketcham
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from New York's 16th congressional district
March 4, 1893 – March 3, 1895
Benjamin L. Fairchild