William S. Hatcher
William S. Hatcher (1935–2005) was a mathematician, philosopher, educator and a member of the Baháʼí Faith. He held a doctorate in mathematics from the University of Neuchatel, Switzerland, and bachelor's and master's degrees from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. A specialist in the philosophical alloying of science and religion, for over thirty years he held university positions in North America, Europe, and Russia.
Work and achievements
Hatcher was the author of over fifty monographs, books, and articles in the mathematical sciences, logic and philosophy. Among the publications of which he is author or coauthor are:
- The Foundations of Mathematics (1968)
- Absolute Algebra (with Stephen Whitney, 1978)
- The Science of Religion (1980)
- The Logical Foundations of Mathematics (1982)
- The Baha'i Faith: The Emerging Global Religion (1984)
- Logic and Logos: Essays on Science, Religion and Philosophy (1990)
- The Law of Love Enshrined (1996)
- The Ethics of Authenticity (1997)
- Love, Power, and Justice (1998)
- Minimalism: A Bridge between Classical Philosophy and the Baha'i Revelation (2002)
Relationship to the Baháʼí Faith
He served on National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of Canada (1983–91) as well as on the inaugural National Spiritual Assemblies of Switzerland (1962–65) and the Russian Federation (1996). He lived in Russia from 1993 to 1998. He was also a founding member of the Association for Baháʼí Studies.
- Reprint of open letter to fellow students on conversion – Pamphlet copyright 1965, National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of the United States of America, Baha'i Publishing Trust, Wilmette, Illinois
- Reviews of The Foundations of Mathematics:
- Nelson, D., Mathematical Reviews, MR 0237320CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Engeler, Erwin (January 1970), The American Mathematical Monthly, 77 (1): 90, doi:10.2307/2316880, JSTOR 2316880CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Corcoran, John (March 1972), Philosophy of Science, 39 (1): 88–90, doi:10.1086/288415, JSTOR 186599CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Barr, J. (March 1974), The American Mathematical Monthly, 81 (3): 299–301, doi:10.2307/2319549, JSTOR 2319549CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Review of Absolute Algebra:
- Reviews of The Logical Foundations of Mathematics:
- Dawson, John W. Jr (1984), Mathematical Reviews, MR 0690243CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Corcoran, John (May–June 1984), American Scientist, 72 (3): 305, JSTOR 27852714CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Kroon, Frederick W. (June 1986), The Journal of Symbolic Logic, 51 (2): 467–470, doi:10.2307/2274073, JSTOR 2274073CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Review of Logic and Logos:
- Nusseibeh, Sari; Nuchelmans, Gabriel; Rodriguez-Consuegra, Francisco A.; Lolli, G.; Henry, D.P.; Jeffry Pelletier, Francis; Rousspoulos, George; Woleński, J.; Smith, B.; Simons, Peter (January 1992), History and Philosophy of Logic, 13 (1): 115–132, doi:10.1080/01445349208837198CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Pokorny, Brad (2003-06-26). "Creating a new school of thought". Baháʼí International Community. Retrieved 2006-08-27.
- Baháʼí World News Service (2005-12-27). "Prolific author hailed for his penetrating insights". Baháʼí International Community. Retrieved 2006-08-27.