William Sanday (theologian)
|Born||1 August 1843|
Holme Pierrepont, Nottinghamshire,
|Died||20 September 1920(aged 77)|
|Occupation||Theologian and biblical scholar|
|Awards||Fellow of the British Academy (FBA) in 1903|
|Institutions||University of Oxford|
William Sanday FBA (1843–1920) was an English theologian. He was the Dean Ireland's Professor of Exegesis of Holy Scripture from 1883 to 1895, and the Lady Margaret Professor of Divinity from 1895 to 1919; both chairs were at the University of Oxford. He had previously been Master of Bishop Hatfield's Hall, University of Durham.
Sanday was born on 1 August 1843 in Holme Pierrepont, Nottinghamshire, England, to William Sanday and Elizabeth Mann. He was a British academic theologian and biblical scholar. In 1877 he married Marian Hastings, daughter of Woodman Hastings.
He was Dean Ireland's Professor of Exegesis of Holy Scripture at Oxford between 1883 and 1895, as well as Lady Margaret Professor of Divinity and Canon of Christ Church between 1895 and 1919. He became a Fellow of the British Academy (FBA) in 1903 (one of the original cohort), and received an honorary Doctor of Letters (DLitt) degree from the University of Cambridge in May 1902.
Sanday died on 16 September 1920.
- Sanday, William (1872). The Authorship and Historical Character of the Fourth Gospel: considered in reference to the contents of the Gospel itself: a critical essay. London: Macmillan.
- ——— (1876). The Gospels in the Second Century: an examination of the critical part of a work entitled "Supernatural religion". ISBN 9780837050409. OCLC 551689940.
- ———; Headlam, Arthur C. (1895). A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans. International Critical Commentary. Edinburgh: T & T Clark.
- ——— (1899). Outlines of the Life of Christ. New York: C. Scribner's Sons. OCLC 7108831.
- ——— (1907). The Life of Christ in Recent Research. New York: Oxford University Press. OCLC 3009845.
- ——— (1911). Studies in the Synoptic Problem. Oxford: Clarendon Press. OCLC 753275.
- ——— (1918). The New Testament Background.
- ——— (2001). Essays in Biblical Criticism and Exegesis. Journal for the Study of the New Testament - Supplement series. 225. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press. ISBN 9780567619730. OCLC 741687252.
- "University Intelligence". The Times (36779). London. 28 May 1902. p. 12.
- Perschbacher, Wesley; A. T. Robertson (April 2003). Word Pictures on the New Testament, Vol. 1. Kregel Publications. ISBN 0-8254-3640-0.
- Plarr, Victor. "Sanday, The Rev. William" Men and Women of the Time; A Dictionary of Contemporaries. London: G. Routledge, 1899. (p. 963) googlebooks Retrieved 22 October 2008
| Master of Bishop Hatfield's Hall, Durham
| Dean Ireland's Professor of
the Exegesis of Holy Scripture
Charles Abel Heurtley
| Lady Margaret Professor of Divinity|
|This English biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|