William Sanford LaSor
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
William Sanford La Sor
William Sanford La Sor was born 25 Oct 1911 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Ordained in the United Presbyterian Church, he served churches in New Jersey and Pennsylvania prior to World War II and served as a U.S. Navy chaplain from 1943-1946 in the Asia-Pacific Theater.
La Sor held six degrees, ranging from chemistry to Oriental languages and literature. He graduated from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1934 and was awarded the first place Scribner Prize for New Testament literature. In 1949 he received the Doctor of Philosophy degree from Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning in Philadelphia. In addition, he held the Doctor of Theology degree from the University of Southern California.
Joining Fuller Theology Seminary in 1949 as an associate professor of Old Testament, he retired in 1980 with emeritus status. William Sanford La Sor died on 11 January 1991 at his home in Altadena, California.
The William Sanford La Sor memorial library was left to Oral Roberts University. The library is held on the 4th floor of the Learning Resource Center. One may find this notable scholars' notes, while browsing the works in this collection.
He authored and edited seventeen books. A minor sample follows:
- La Sor, William Sanford. "The Messiahs of Aaron and Israel." Vetus Testamentum 6, no. 4 (1956): 425-429.
- ________. "Secondary Opening of Syllables Originally Closed with Gutturals (in Hebrew)." Journal of Near Eastern Studies 15, no. 4 (1956): 246-250.
- ________. The Dead Sea Scrolls and the New Testament. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans, 1972.
- ________. Israel : A Biblical View. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans, 1976.
- ________. Handbook of Biblical Hebrew : (An Inductive Approach Based on the Hebrew Text of Esther, 2 Vols. in 1). Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1989. ISBN 978-0802804440.
- ________. The Truth About Armageddon : What the Bible Says About the End Times. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1987. ISBN 978-0801056376.
- La Sor, William Sanford, Peter Hintzoglou, and Eric N. Jacobsen. Handbook of New Testament Greek: An Inductive Approach Based on the Greek Text of Acts. Grand Rapids, MI.: Eerdmans, 1973.
- La Sor, William Sanford, David Allan Hubbard, and Frederic William Bush. Old Testament Survey : The Message, Form, and Background of the Old Testament, 2/ed. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans, 1996. ISBN 978-0802837882.
- La Sor, William Sanford, and Gary A. Tuttle. Biblical and near Eastern Studies : Essays in Honor of William Sanford La Sor. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1978. ISBN 978-0802835000.
- LA Sor, William Sanford et al, Old Testament survey: the message, form, and background of the Old Testament, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1996, backflap
- Pennsylvania, Veteran Compensation Application Files, WWII, 1950-1966
- Trenton Evening Times (Trenton, New Jersey), May 15, 1934, p.2
- Trenton Evening Times (Trenton, New Jersey), June 2, 1949, p.2
- Los Angeles Times (CA), January 17, 1991
- California, Death Index, 1940-1997
- U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014