William Saunders (Liberal politician)
Saunders, who was a member of The Plymouth Institution (now The Plymouth Athenaeum), founded several newspapers. He established the Western Morning News at Plymouth in 1860 with Edward Spender. The Eastern Morning News was established at Hull and the first number appeared in January 1864. Saunders also established the Central News Agency, and was vice-president of the temperance society United Kingdom Alliance.
In January 1889 he was elected to the newly created London County Council as a councillor representing the Walworth division of Newington. Nominated by the local Liberal and Radical Association, he took his seat as a member of the majority Progressive Party, allied to the parliamentary Liberals. He was re-elected in 1892, holding his seat until 1895.
He returned to the House of Commons at the 1892 general election when he won Walworth from the sitting Conservative MP. He died in office in May 1895, triggering a by-election on 14 May in which the seat was regained by the Conservatives.
- "House of Commons constituencies beginning with "H" (part 4)". Leigh Rayment's House of Commons pages. Retrieved 6 May 2009.
- "House of Commons constituencies beginning with "W" (part 1)". Leigh Rayment's House of Commons pages. Retrieved 6 May 2009.
- "Historic People". Plymouth Athenaeum. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- Moseley, Brian (23 May 2011). "Western Morning News". The Encyclopaedia of Plymouth History. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Social institutions, A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 1: The City of Kingston upon Hull (1969), pp. 418-432. Date accessed: 5 May 2009
- Debretts Guide to the House of Commons 1886
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. pp. 36, 129. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
- "The London County Council". Morning Post. 20 December 1888. p. 2.
- Jackson, W Eric (1965). Achievement. A Short History of the London County Council. London: Longmans. p. 279.
- John Sutherland Stephen Spender 2005
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by William Saunders
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|| Member of Parliament for Kingston upon Hull East
1885 – 1886
Lewis Henry Isaacs
| Member of Parliament for Walworth
1892 – 1895