William Schoell (pronounced shoal) is an American author, biographer and film historian, born in Manhattan in 1951 and educated in Vermont, earning a B.A. from Castleton State College. He has written several horror and science fiction novels, such as Late at Night (1986) and Saurian (1988). He was the author of "Hidden Horrors," a column in the now defunct horror magazine The Scream Factory, as well as a contributor of articles and reviews to periodicals including Writer, Writer's Digest, Paris Notes, Off Duty, and BBC Music. He was also a talk show radio host and producer. More recently, he has published books that deal with film, and biographies, some of which were written together with Hollywood biographer Lawrence J. Quirk, his domestic partner. His play Joe and Janice premiered at the American Theater of Actors in 2000. He writes a popular blog on movies called Great Old Movies. Prominent in the Gay Rights Movement in the 1970s, he now has a blog called "Ask Gay "Dr." Bill," which answers questions about gay life and the LGBT community.
- Spawn of Hell, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1984.
- Shivers, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1985.
- Late at Night, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1986.
- Bride of Satan, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1986.
- Saurian, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1988.
- The Pact, St. Martin's (New York, NY), 1988.
- The Dragon, Leisure Books (New York, NY), 1989.
- Fatal Beauty, St. Martin's (New York, NY), 1990.
- Monster World, Matthews and Bates, 2015.
- The Absolutely Appalling Opera Murders, Comic Opera, 2015
- Mystery Zoo 1: Eye of the Cyclops, Funstuff, 2015
- Stay out of the Shower: Twenty-five Years of Shocker Films Beginning with "Psycho," Dembner (New York, NY), 1985, published as Stay out of the Shower: The Shocker Film Phenomenon, [London, England], 1988.
- Comic Book Heroes of the Screen, Carol Publishing (New York, NY), 1991.
- (With James Spencer) The Nightmare Never Ends: The Official History of Freddy Krueger and "The Nightmare on Elm Street" Films, Carol Publishing (New York, NY), 1992.
- The Films of Al Pacino, Carol Publishing (New York, NY), 1995.
- (With Lawrence J. Quirk) The Rat Pack: The Hey Hey Days of Frank and the Boys, Taylor Publishing (Dallas, TX), 1998.
- Magic Man: The Life and Films of Steven Spielberg, Tudor Publishers (Greensboro, NC), 1999.
- Martini Man: The Life of Dean Martin, Taylor Publishing (Dallas, TX), 1999.
- Heartbreaker: The Dorothy Dandridge Story, Avisson Press (Greensboro, NC), 2002.
- Joan Crawford: The Essential Biography, University Press of Kentucky (Lexington, KY), 2002.
- Remarkable Journeys: The Story of Jules Verne, Morgan Reynolds Pub. (Greensboro, NC), 2002.
- "I Can Do Anything": The Sammy Davis, Jr. Story, Avisson Press (Greensoro, NC), 2004.
- H. P. Lovecraft: Master of Weird Fiction, Morgan Reynolds (Greensboro, NC), 2004.
- Mystery and Terror: The Story of Edgar Allan Poe, Morgan Reynolds (Greensboro, NC), 2004.
- The Opera of the Twentieth Century, McFarland (Jefferson, NC), 2006.
- (with Lawrence J. Quirk) The Sundance Kid: An Unauthorized Biography of Robert Redford, Taylor Trade (New York), 2006.
- Giuseppe Verdi and Italian Opera, Morgan Reynolds (Greensboro, NC), 2007.
- Creature Features: Nature Turned Nasty in the Movies, McFarland (Jefferson, NC), 2008.
- The Silver Age of Comics, BearManor Media (Duncan, OK), 2010.
- The Horror Comics: Fiends, Freaks, and Fantastic Creatures, 1940s to 1980s, McFarland (Jefferson, NC), 2014.
- Superhuman: The Bronze Age of Comics, Timbre, 2016.
- Al Pacino: In Films and On Stage, McFarland Jefferson, NC), 2016.