William Somerset, 3rd Earl of Worcester
|The Earl of Worcester|
William Somerset, 3rd Earl of Worcester in his suit of Greenwich armor
|Died||21 February 1589
|Resting place||Church of St Cadoc, Raglan, Monmouthshire|
|Title||3rd Earl of Worcester|
|Successor||Edward Somerset, 4th Earl of Worcester|
|Issue||Edward Somerset, 4th Earl of Worcester
|Parents||Henry Somerset, 2nd Earl of Worcester
Elizabeth Somerset, Countess of Worcester (d. 1565)
On 26 November 1549, he succeeded his father and became the 3rd Earl of Worcester. Before 19 May 1550, Worcester married Christiana North. She was a daughter of Edward North, 1st Baron North and his wife Alice Squire. They were parents to three children:
- Edward Somerset, 4th Earl of Worcester (d. 3 March 1628).
- Elizabeth Somerset. Married William Windsor. He was a namesake son of William Windsor, 2nd Baron Windsor by his wife Margaret Sambourne.
- Lucy Somerset. Married Henry Herbert, Esquire.
Worcester supported Lady Jane Grey in 1553. He was invested as Knight, Order of the Garter (K.G.) in 1570. William Somerset died at his house Hackney on 21 February 1589 and was buried in the Church of St Cadoc, Raglan, Monmouthshire.
|Ancestors of William Somerset, 3rd Earl of Worcester|
- "Somerset, William, third earl of Worcester". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Retrieved 2014-12-02.
- KIMBALL G. EVERINGHAM; Richardson, Douglas Scott (2004). Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study In Colonial And Medieval Families (Royal Ancestry). Genealogical Publishing Company. p. 667. ISBN 0-8063-1750-7.
- Newman, John (2002). Gwent/Monmouthshire. New Haven; London: Yale University Press. p. 305. ISBN 978-0-300-09630-9.
|Peerage of England|
|Earl of Worcester
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|