19 December 1987 |
|Education||London College of Fashion|
|Awards||Global Fashion Awards 2010, Best Emerging Brand & Retailer|
William Tempest (born 19 December 1987) is a British fashion designer from Cheshire, UK. He studied a National Diploma in Fashion Design at Mid Cheshire College and afterwards moved to London at the age of 18 to study at The London College of Fashion where he gained a first class honours degree in womenswear design. He has worked for designers Giles Deacon in London and Jean-Charles de Castelbajac in Paris. In 2009 William caught the eye of designer Donatella Versace who selected William to show his first collection at London Fashion Week through the Fashion Fringe at Covent Garden initiative. In 2010, following the success of his debut New York Fashion Week show William was presented by Fern Mallis with a WGSN Global Fashion Award for Best Emerging Brand & Retailer.
Tempest's collection for Autumn/Winter 2010 titled 'Under the Abaya' was inspired by Islamic architecture and the legend of the Queen of Sheba’s journey to Israel, and was shown at London Fashion Week in February 2010. Tempest's collection for Autumn/Winter 2011/2012 titled 'Dia Anna' was inspired by witchcraft, the occult, and the macabre in the Middle Ages and featured sculptural coats, crinolines and washed silk dresses in cherry, blood red, nudes, and black. The collection was showcased in a fashion film  made in collaboration with Harper's Bazaar and model Amber Le Bon.
His creations have been worn by luminaries including Kate Moss, Rihanna, Leona Lewis, Lily Allen, Alexa Chung, Emma Watson, and Victoria Beckham. William Tempest has been featured in international press including publications such as Vogue, Tatler, i:D, The Wall Street Journal, and WWD, and was featured in The Sunday Times Power List as one of the most influential ʻ25 under 26ʼ. William Tempest's design talent has regularly been sought outside the field of high fashion. Most notably he collaborated with River Island on a high-street collection sold in the UK, Middle East, Russia and Europe, created an art installation in Queen Victoriaʼs bedroom for the Enchanted Palace exhibition at Kensington Palace in London alongside designers Vivienne Westwood and Stephen Jones, appeared as a judge on Britainʼs Next Top Model, curated an exhibition on sustainable urban design with Mercedes Benz Smart Urban Stage, and has designed and worked with many other global brands including SonyVAIO, Disney, Toni & Guy, label.m Haircare, The BodyShop, Olay, and W Hotels.
- William Tempest, Autumn/Winter 10/11 at Vogue.com, 23 February 2010
- William Tempest and Mechante Film at Harpersbazaar.co.uk, 18 April 2011
- Rihanna's Tempest at Vogue.com, 2 November 2010
- Tempest's Brit Award at Vogue.com, 18 February 2010
- Emma Watson wears William Tempest at Telegraph.co.uk, 9 December 2008
- Victoria Beckham at Vogue.com, 2 October 2009
- William Tempest for River Island at Telegraph.co.uk 13 September 2012
- The Enchanted Palace at Telegraph.co.uk, 26 March 2010
- Britain's Next Top Model Blog at Company.co.uk
- Five things I know about style at Theguardian.com, 8 May 2011
- Toni & Guy at Toniandguy.com, 10 December 2010
- William Tempest Olay Foundation at Vogue.com, 25 October 2010
- Pyjama Party at Grazia.co.uk, 8 May 2013