William VIII, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel
|Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel|
|Reign||5 April 1751 – |
1 February 1760
|Born||10 March 1682|
|Died||1 February 1760 (aged 77)|
|Spouse||Dorothea Wilhelmina of Saxe-Zeitz|
Frederick II, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel
|Father||Charles I, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel|
|Mother||Maria Amalia of Courland|
Born in Kassel, he was the seventh son of Charles I, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel and Maria Amalia of Courland. After his elder brother Frederick became King of Sweden in 1720 and his father died in 1730, he became de facto ruler of Hesse-Kassel. He officially became landgrave after his brother's death on 25 March 1751.
Five years later, the Seven Years' War began and William joined with the Prussian and British forces. Hesse-Kassel became an important battlefield and was occupied by France on several occasions. He had a deep, personal friendship with Frederick the Great, King of Prussia, and Roman-German emperor Charles VII.
His second son and successor, Frederick, became a Catholic, which led to restrictions on Catholicism in the Calvinist landgraviate and the transfer of the Principality of Hanau to his Protestant grandson William.
- Charles (21 August 1718 – 17 October 1719);
- Frederick (1720 – 1785), his successor;
- Maria Amalia (7 July 1721 – 19 November 1744).
He died at Rinteln in 1760.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2013)
|Ancestors of William VIII, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to William VIII, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel.|
- Hugo Brunner (1898), "Wilhelm VIII.", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German), 43, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 60–64
- Reinhard Dietrich (1996) (in German). Die Landesverfassung in dem Hanauischen = Hanauer Geschichtsblätter 34. Hanau. ISBN 3-9801933-6-5
- Bernhard Schnackenburg (2000) (in German). Landgraf Wilhelm VIII. von Hessen-Kassel, Gründer der Kasselerer Gemäldegalerie. In: Heide Wunder (Ed.): Kassel im 18. Jahrhundert. Kassel. S. 71–87.
- Wolf von Both/Hans Vogt (Ed.) (1964) (in German). Landgraf Wilhelm VIII. von Hessen-Kassel. Ein Fürst der Rokokozeit = Veröffentlichungen der Historischen Kommission für Hessen und Waldeck, Bd. 27,1/ Schriften zur Hessischen Kulturgeschichte, Bd. 1. Munich.
- Franz Carl Theodor Piderit (1844) (in German). Geschichte der Haupt- und Residenzstadt Kassel S. 304 ff.