William Astor, 4th Viscount Astor
|William Waldorf Astor III|
|Born||27 December 1951|
|Spouse(s)||Annabel Lucy Veronica Jones
|Children||Flora Katherina Astor
William Waldorf Astor IV
James Jacob Astor
|Parents||William Waldorf Astor II
Sarah Kathleen Elinor Norton
William Waldorf Astor III, 4th Viscount Astor (born 27 December 1951) is an English businessman and politician who sits as an elected hereditary peer in the House of Lords. He is a member of the Astor family
William Waldorf III is the son of Viscount William Waldorf "Bill" Astor II (1907—1966) and Sarah Kathleen Elinor Norton (1920—2013). From his father's later marriages, he has three younger half-sisters: Emily (born 1956), Janet (born 1961), and Pauline (born 1964). From his mother's remarriage to Thomas Michael Baring, he has a younger half-brother named Edward Richard Philip Baring (born September 1962). He was educated at Eton College, and on 14 January 1976 married Annabel Lucy Veronica Jones, daughter of Timothy Angus Jones and Patricia David Pandora Clifford. They have three children:
- Flora Katherine Astor (born 7 June 1976)
- William Waldorf "Will" Astor (born 18 January 1979)
- James Jacob Astor (born 1981)
His heir is his elder son, Will, who married at East Hendred, Oxfordshire, on September 5, 2009 model Lohralee Stutz, daughter of Serge Alain Stutz and Michelle Bourdeau. They have a son named William Waldorf Astor V (born 4 May 2012) and a daughter named Allegra Annabel Astor (born 14 August 2013).
His wife Annabel's stepfather was his uncle Michael Langhorne Astor. Her daughter from her first marriage, Samantha, is married to Prime Minister David Cameron. In the lead-up to the 2005 general election, Astor had an extra-marital affair with Rachel Whetstone, wife of the Conservative strategist Steve Hilton.
He was a Lord-in-Waiting (a House of Lords whip) from 1990 to 1993. He was then made a Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department of Social Security. Tom O'Sullivan from the 'Guardian' newspaper described him as "an absurd post for a man from such a moneyed background".
Viscount Astor is presently Deputy Chairman of Silvergate Media Ltd and director of Networkers Plc (since 2007). Trustee Stanley Spencer gallery, Cookham
- "Allegra Annabel Astor Birth Announcement". The Times. 21 August 2013.
- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-2103339,00.html Power couple behind the new Tory throne
- O'Sullivan, Tom (11 March 2000). "The young elite 11-20". The Guardian.
- thePeerage.com - Person Page 7535
- "Founding Council | The Rothermere American Institute". Rothermere American Institute. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Voting record at PublicWhip.org
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou.com
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Viscount Astor
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
William Waldorf Astor II