William Warwick Buckland
William Warwick Buckland was educated in France, at Hurstpierpoint College and the Crystal Palace School of Engineering. He entered Caius College, Cambridge, in 1881, graduating in 1884 with a first in the Law Tripos. Elected a Fellow of Caius, he remained a Cambridge academic for the remainder of his life. In 1920 he became a Fellow of the British Academy. He received honorary degrees from the universities of Oxford, Edinburgh (1922), Harvard (1929), Lyon, Louvain and Paris. Among his best-known works on Roman Law is A Textbook of Roman Law from Augustus to Justinian, which became a standard text.
He is buried at the Parish of the Ascension Burial Ground in Cambridge.
- The Roman Law of Slavery: The Conditions of the Slave in Private Law from Augustus to Justinian (Cambridge: University Press, 1908)
- Equity in Roman Law: Lectures Delivered in the University of London, at the Request of the Faculty of Laws (London: University of London Press, 1911)
- Elementary Principles of Roman Private Law (Cambridge: University Press, 1912)
- A Textbook of Roman Law from Augustus to Justinian (Cambridge: University Press, 1921)
- A Manual of Roman Private Law (Cambridge: University Press, 1925)
- The Main Institutions of Roman Private Law (Cambridge: University Press, 1931)
- Roman Law and Common Law: A Comparison in Outline (Cambridge: University Press, 1936) (with the collaboration of Arnold D. McNair)
- Studies in the Glossators of the Roman Law: Newly Discovered Writings of the Twelfth Century (Cambridge: University Press, 1938) (edited and explained by Hermann F. Kantorowicz with the collaboration of W.W. Buckland)
- Some Reflections on Jurisprudence (Cambridge: University Press, 1945)
- "Buckland, William Warwick (BKLT881WW)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Cf. The University of Edinburgh, Registry, Honorary Graduates of The University of Edinburgh: 1900-1949
- Cf. Harvard University Gazette, This month in Harvard history (Sept. 25, 1929)
- Cf. David M. Walker, The Oxford Companion to Law, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1980, p. 156.
- Buckland, W.W., McNair, A.D., Roman Law and Common Law: A Comparison in Outline, 2d ed., revised by Lawson, F.H., Cambridge: University Press, 1965 (portions)
|This United Kingdom law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|