|Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Appointed||11 October 1368|
|Term ended||5 June 1374|
|Other posts||Bishop of Rochester
Bishop of Worcester
|Consecration||6 February 1362|
|Died||5 June 1374
Whittlesey was educated at Oxford, and owing principally to the fact that he was a nephew of Simon Islip, archbishop of Canterbury, he received numerous ecclesiastical preferments; he held prebends at Lichfield, Chichester and Lincoln, and livings at Ivychurch, Croydon and Cliffe.
Whittlesey was briefly appointed Master of Peterhouse on 10 September 1349 and resigned from that post in 1351. Later he was appointed vicar-general, and then dean of the court of arches by Islip. On 23 October 1360 he became Bishop of Rochester and was consecrated on 6 February 1362. Two years after his consecration he was transferred to the bishopric of Worcester on 6 March 1364. On 11 October 1368 Whittlesey was transferred to the archbishopric of Canterbury in succession to Simon Langham, but his term of office was very uneventful, a circumstance due partly, but not wholly, to his feeble health. He died at Lambeth on the 5th or 6 June 1374.
- Roach (editor) "The colleges and halls: Peterhouse" History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 267
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 279
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 233
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Whittlesea, William". Encyclopædia Britannica. 28 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Roach, J. P. C., ed. (1959). "The colleges and halls: Peterhouse". A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 3: The City and University of Cambridge. pp. 334–340.
- Tait, James (1900). "Whittlesey, William". In Lee, Sidney. Dictionary of National Biography. 61. London: Smith, Elder & Co.
- Swanson, R. N. "Wittleseye , William (d. 1374)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/29333. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
|Catholic Church titles|
|Bishop of Rochester
|Bishop of Worcester
|Archbishop of Canterbury
Ralph de Holbeche
|Master of Peterhouse, Cambridge
Richard de Wisbeche