William Willoughby, 11th Baron Willoughby de Eresby
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
William Willoughby, 11th Baron Willoughby de Eresby (1482–1526), was an English baron and the largest landowner in Lincolnshire. He was the son of Sir Christopher Willoughby (died c. 1498) and Margaret or Marjery Jenney (daughter of Sir William Jenney of Knodishall, Suffolk, Justice of the King's Bench).
In 1499, he succeeded as Baron Willoughby de Eresby.
Secondly, on 5 June 1516, he married María de Salinas, the Spanish-born lady-in-waiting to Catherine of Aragon. Grimsthorpe Castle was granted by Henry VIII to the de Eresby family on the occasion of Maria's marriage.
By his second wife, Willoughby had a daughter, Catherine, who succeeded him in the barony on his death in 1526. She was betrothed to Henry Brandon, 1st Earl of Lincoln, the son of Charles Brandon, 1st Duke of Suffolk, and Princess Mary, the sister of Henry VIII. When Princess Mary died in 1533, fourteen-year-old Catherine was hastily married to the Duke of Suffolk, her fiance's father, who was twenty-five years her senior. In 1546, there were rumours that Henry VIII wished to marry the widowed Catherine.
- Doe, Norman (2004). "Hussey , Sir William (d. 1495)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/14271. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.) The first edition of this text is available at Wikisource: . Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.
- Hamilton, John Andrew (1891). Hussey, William. 28. Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900. p. 332. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Maddison, A.R., ed. (1903). Lincolnshire Pedigrees, Vol. II. LI. London: Harleian Society. pp. 526–32. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Will of Sir William Hussey, PROB 11/10/592, proved 4 July 1496, National Archives 11 December 2013
- Will of Dame Elizabeth Hussey, widow, PROB 11/14/415, proved 11 December 1504, National Archives 11 December 2013
|Peerage of England|
| Baron Willoughby de Eresby
|This biography of a baron or baroness in the Peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|