William W. Hallo
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
William Wolfgang Hallo (March 9, 1928 – March, 27, 2015) was professor of Assyriology and Babylonian Literature and curator of the Babylonian collection at Yale University. He was born in Kassel, Germany.
Born in Kassel, Germany in 1928, Hallo left Germany in 1939 for England, and immigrated to the United States with his family in 1941. He received his B.A. from Harvard and studied in the Netherlands through a Fulbright Fellowship at the University of Leiden. There he met and married Edith Pinto, with whom he had two children. After the death of Edith in 1991, he married Nanette Stahl.
Hallo studied for his Ph.D. 1951–1956 at the Oriental Institute with a fellowship from the University of Chicago under Professor I.J. Gelb. After receiving his Ph.D., he worked at Hebrew Union College’s Jewish Institute of Religion. In 1962, Hallo became assistant curator (and later curator) of the Babylonian Collection and professor of Assyriology at Yale, which he taught until his retirement in 2002.
- Hallo, William W. (1957). Early Mesopotamian Royal Titles. New Haven, CT: American Oriental Society. ISBN 0-940490-43-9.
- Hallo, William W.; Simpson, William Kelly (1971). The Ancient Near East: A History. ISBN 0-15-503819-2.
- Hallo, William W. (1996). Origins : The Ancient Near Eastern Background of Some Modern Western Institutions. Brill. ISBN 90-04-10328-7.
- Hallo, William W. (2009). The World's Oldest Literature: Studies in Sumerian Belles-lettres. Brill. ISBN 90-04-17381-1.
- Rosenzweig, Franz (1971). Der Stern der Erlösung [The Star of Redemption]. Trans. William W. Hallo. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston. ISBN 0-03-085077-0.
- " In Memoriam: William W. Hallo, expert on ancient Near East", Yale News, March 30, 2015. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- obituary, The New Haven Register, Mar. 29, 2015. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- Master & Deans of Residential Colleges
- Hallo, William W. and Van Dijk, J.J.A., The Exaltation of Inanna, Yale University Press (1968).
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|