William de Burgh (philosopher)
William de Burgh
William George de Burgh
24 October 1866
New Wandsworth, London, England
|Died||27 August 1943 (aged 76)|
Toller Porcorum, England
Edith Mary Grace (m. 1897)
|Alma mater||Merton College, Oxford|
|Institutions||University of Reading|
|Notable works||Legacy of the Ancient World (1924)|
William George de Burgh FBA (1866–1943) was an English philosopher. Born 24 October 1866 in New Wandsworth, London, he was educated at Winchester and Merton College, Oxford. He was a founding member of the University of Reading, where he became Professor of Philosophy in 1907. His works include Towards a Religious Philosophy (1937), From Morality to Religion (1938), and The Legacy of the Ancient World (1924). A committed Anglican, he endeavoured to justify the revealed truth of the gospel in terms of rationalism and thereby defend it against both the contemporary Protestant theological trend for anti-rationalism and the dominant philosophy of logical positivism. He died 27 August 1943 in Toller Porcorum, Dorset.
- "De Burgh, William George" 2007.
- "De Burgh, William George" 2007; Knox & Creffield 2004; Sell 2015, p. 5.
- Taylor, A. E. (1943). "William George de Burgh, 1866–1943". Proceedings of the British Academy. 29: 371–372. Cited in Sell 2015, p. 3.
- Knox & Creffield 2004.
- Knox & Creffield 2004; Sell 2015, p. 4.
- Sell 2015, p. 8.
- Sell 2015, p. 24.
- "De Burgh, William George". Who's Who. A & C Black. 2007. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U223247.
- Knox, T. M.; Creffield, C. A. (2004). "Burgh, William George de (1866–1943)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford: Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/32766. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- Sell, Alan P. F. (2015) . Four Philosophical Anglicans: W. G. DeBurgh, W. R. Matthews, O. C. Quick, H. A. Hodges. Eugene, Oregon: Wipf and Stock. ISBN 978-1-4982-2008-8.
- De Burgh, W. G. (1912). The Legacy of Greece of Rome. London: Macdonald and Evans. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
|This Anglicanism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an English philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|