|Member of the Scottish Parliament
for Kilmarnock and Irvine Valley
Kilmarnock and Loudoun (2007-11)
3 May 2007
|Preceded by||Margaret Jamieson|
|Born||24 May 1958|
|Political party||Scottish National Party|
Coffey worked as Software Development Manager and latterly as a Quality and Risk Manager with Learning and Teaching Scotland before his election to the Scottish Parliament. He has been a councillor on East Ayrshire Council.
He was first elected to Kilmarnock & Loudoun District Council in 1992 and subsequently to East Ayrshire Council in 1999, 2003 and 2007 before retiring from Local Government at the 2012 Local Elections.
He is the brother of former Provost and Cllr. Danny Coffey who came within 1,210 votes of winning Kilmarnock & Loudoun in 2003 and died on 26 February 2006. Their sister, Helen, held Danny's ward with an increased majority and a 5.6% swing from Labour.
Willie Coffey won the Kilmarnock & Loudoun seat for the SNP in May 2007 with a vote of 14,297 and a majority of 1,342. He serves on the Scottish Parliament's Audit Committee and has campaigned on numerous occasions to protect the Scotch whisky industry, particularly in his own area.
- It’s Willie two jobs!, Kilmarnock Standard, 9 May 2007
- "Scottish Parliamentary Eelection: 3 May 2007 Return of Constituency Members: Kilmarnock and Loudoun Constituency" (PDF). East Ayrshire Council. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- 700 jobs go as Johnnie Walker's Kilmarnock plant is to shut, Kilmarnock Standard, 3 July 2009
- Willie Coffey, MSP: Diageo mustn't turn its back on 200-year history and tradition, Scotsman Whisky blog, 9 July 2009
- Willie Coffey's website profile
- Scottish Parliament website profile
- East Ayrshire Council profile
- SNP website profile
- TheyWorkForYou profile
|Member of the Scottish Parliament for Kilmarnock and Irvine Valley
|This article about a member of the Scottish Parliament is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|