Willie Fernie (golfer)
Fernie, c. 1896
|Full name||William Fernie|
7 May 1855|
St Andrews, Scotland
|Died||24 June 1924
|Best results in major championships
|The Open Championship||Won: 1883|
William Fernie (7 May 1855 – 24 June 1924) was a Scottish professional golfer and golf course architect from St Andrews. He won the 1883 Open Championship at Musselburgh Links. The tournament was scheduled to last four rounds of the nine-hole course on a Friday in November. Fernie tied with defending champion Bob Ferguson, with both men shooting 158. The following day Fernie won a playoff by a single stroke.
Fernie was runner-up in the Open Championship in 1882, 1884, 1890 and 1891. When George Strath left Royal Troon in 1887, Fernie took over as club professional and served for 37 years only retiring in January 1924, a few months before his death. As a golf course designer he made alterations to the Old Course at St Andrews and Royal Troon, and designed Turnberry's Ailsa, Felixstowe Ferry Golf Club and Isle of Arran courses. He also designed the Dumfries and County Golf Club in 1912.
Death and legacy
|Year||Championship||18 holes||Winning score||Margin||Runner-up|
|1883||The Open Championship||2 shot lead||38-37-40-43=158||Playoff1||Bob Ferguson|
1In a 36-hole playoff, Fernie defeated Ferguson by 1 stroke.
|The Open Championship||T9||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||T8|
|The Open Championship||DNP||8||2||1||T2||T4||T8||T7||14||6|
|The Open Championship||T2||T2||8||T23||T5||T6||T3||T22||7||T5|
|The Open Championship||CUT||CUT||T12||T24||CUT||T31||CUT|
- Note: Fernie played only in The Open Championship.
DNP = Did not play
CUT = missed the half-way cut
"T" indicates a tie for a place
Green background for wins. Yellow background for top-10
- England–Scotland Professional Match (representing Scotland): 1903 (winners), 1904 (tie)
- "1883 Willie Fernie". The Open. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Births in the Burgh of St Andrews in the County of Fife". Statutory Births 453/01 0075. ScotlandsPeople. Retrieved 15 February 2015. (subscription required (. ))
- "Retirement of W. Fernie". The Times. 12 January 1924. p. 10.
- "Deaths in the District of Hillhead in the Burgh of Glasgow". Statutory Deaths 644/12 0663. ScotlandsPeople. Retrieved 15 February 2015. (subscription required (. ))
- "Death of Willie Fernie – Ex-Open champion golfer – A link with the past". The Glasgow Herald. 25 June 1924. p. 9.
- "Death of Willie Fernie". The Times. 25 June 1924. p. 7.
- opengolf.com report on the 1883 Open Championship
- Shiskine Golf and Tennis Club History, including notes on Willie Fernie
- Royal Troon, Club professionals, note on Willie Fernie
- Antique Golf Clubs from Scotland, makers
|This biographical article relating to golf in Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|