|Governor of Anambra State|
Assumed office |
17 March 2014
|Preceded by||Peter Obi|
8 August 1955|
Aguleri, Anambra State, Nigeria
|Political party||All Progressives Grand Alliance|
|Spouse(s)||Chief Mrs. E V Obiano|
Governor Obiano was born at Aguleri, a town in Anambra State, Eastern Nigeria. He received a bachelor's degree in Accountancy from the University of Lagos in 1979 and a Master of Business Administration from the same university.
Governor Obiano began his banking career in 1981 at the First Bank of Nigeria before he left to join the services of Chevron Oil Nigeria Plc as an accountant and rose to the position of Chief Internal Auditor. In 1989, he was one of the auditors that audited Texaco Refinery in Rotterdam, Netherlands. In 1991, he joined the Fidelity Bank as Deputy Manager and head of Audit unit and rose to the position of Executive Director on October 2003.
He left the banking system to join Nigerian politics and in 2013 contested the November 16, 17 and 30 Anambra State gubernatorial elections on the platform of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA. He won the election and was sworn in on March 17, 2014 to succeed Peter Obi. On November 14 2017, he was relected beating other contestants in all local government areas in the state to emerge as the winner,beating even the candidate presented by his former political Godfather; Mr Peter Obi and even the ruling party, a record feat in the history of Nigerian democracy. He is the initiator of the Willie is Willingly Working campaign (WWW) and National leader of All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA). He is also one of the few Governors in the country meeting up with civil servants salaries and allowances at a time when the country was in recession and many Governors were unable to pay.
- "Labour leaders praise Obiano on workers' welfare". Daily Sun. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- The Union. "Gov. Obiano's Scorecard 100 Days After". The Union. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- Leadership Newspaper (24 June 2014). "Anambra Residents Laud Obiano's Performance In 100 Days In Office". Nigerian News from Leadership News. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "An Open Advice To The New Anambra Governor Chief Willie Obiano, By Chukwuemerie Uduchukwu - Premium Times Nigeria". Premium Times Nigeria. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "100 Days in Office: A Governor Takes Stock, Articles - THISDAY LIVE". thisdaylive.com. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Profile of new Anambra Governor, Willie Obiano". DailyPost Nigeria. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Obiano at 57: Finally a New Star Rises from the East, Articles - THISDAY LIVE". thisdaylive.com. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "APGA candidate, Obiano, sued for double registration". The Punch - Nigeria's Most Widely Read Newspaper. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- Administrator. "Supreme Courts Affirms Gov Obiano's Election Victory". icirnigeria.org. Retrieved 2 May 2015.